340 cranks over forever when warm

-

Mopar2

Reaction score
the 340 in my 68 dart starts absolutly perfect when motor is cool but after driving for around 15 mins or so after motor gets nice and warm I have to crank it over for a good 15-20seconds to get it to start again. I am thinking this is a timming issue maybe. Which direction would I need to turn distributer a little to test this out? (clockwise or counter clockwise)

thanks!

when it is warm, will it start faster if you hold the gas pedal down 1/4"-1/2" or so?

dosent matter how far I push down on the throttle. It has an electric fuel pump and fuel lines are away from heat sources. I will put a new coil on tomorrow and see if that helps since it looks really old anyhow and the bracket to it is loose

I had the same problem with my 69 340. Do you have a phenolic spacer under the carb? You need some thing to isolate the intake manifold heat from the carb.

Without the spacer or a thick gasket, the heat will boil the fuel in the float bowl. A minute or so after you shut it off, if you look down the carb throat, you may see the fuel dripping from the boosters. If so, heat is the problem and you need to insulate it from the carb.

Hope this helps.

sounds like heat soak excess fuel 3rd ditto, was going to say the same get a spacer for heat etc, make sure floats are not to high too.

You may just be running a little rich on the idle mixture. This would help it start easier when its cold, but make it harder to start when its warm. Personally I'd look at a few spark plugs before I tore the carb off and bought a spacer.

But maybe then I'm the only one that thinks that a 1968 340 starting "perfectly" when cold is strange...

Moroso Cool cans for fuel cooling... just throw a couple ice cubes in and go for a drive.

-
Back