340 Demon market value?

-

VSTwister

Reaction score
So when my wife's uncle heard we were going to the Nats, he asked that I keep an eye out for Demons that were for sale, to get a feel for what people are asking for them.

He had a 71 340 back in the day, butterscotch color, automatic, rallye package. It doesn't have to be a matching numbers 340, just original stock and not heavily modified. A solid, rust free daily driver condition is what he's after.

I saw a few Demons for sale Saturday (the only day I was there), but not many. Especially 71's. In the car corral there was a bright yellow one for sale, auto on the column with bench seat and standard instrument panel/dash. Seller was asking $22k and labled it as daily driver. Another blue '71 had a $15k price tag, but it had a big block in it so did not fit the non-heavily modified criteria. I also recall seeing a dark green '72 for $18k.

So that's not as much as I'd like to have to get an idea of market value. Can anyone here offer some additional info that I can take back to him?

Thanks

The Market is all over the place. For a clean real 340 Demon driver I expect to be in the $15K range

10 to 15 k for a clean real 340 with matching numbers driver. Over 15k to 20k for a good restored one. 20k to maybe 30k for a very hi end resto with all original parts like t quad solenoid etc.

Sounds good. I was kind of shocked at the 18-22k prices I saw for cars that were not high-end restorations, but nice drivers.

I wouldn't try an auction, Mecum Indy a 72 340 4-speed bench seat car that needed work brought 23k. Then another 72 column auto 340 petty blue car brought 30k ok but not perfect. The GSS Demons brought way more but that's expected.

On the East Coast a very nice driver with 4 speed is going to be 18-22 for sure. Automatic will be less. A 72 will be less also. 71 is the best year IMHO.
Ron

-
Back