340 detective

-

wheelman21

Mopar noob
Reaction score
Hey guys. So I'm going to be doing a trans swap on my 340 dart once the weather warms enough to free my car trailer from the snow, but in the mean time I'm trying to nail down the specs on my engine. It is a 340 without a doubt but I can't be sure of the year. I can't tell what the number on the side of the block is (see picture) and also the the number on the front of the block right under the head is gone. There isn't a trace of a number or letter! I'm almost positive it's a 72 as it has a performance products harmonic balancer and I think I can see a weight on the back. What do you guys think? Any idea from the picture below? Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 243
Thanks for the link Krazykuda. I hadn't thought about the VIN tag. The motor is a 73 with J-heads. I'm assuming it is a cast crank then. I'm not sure if the pistons were changed or if the block has been bored or decked. It has a M1 high-rise intake, and a 292* .508 lift mopar cam. It's topped off with a mighty demon 750. Any idea what kind of power it's making?

The only way to verify cast 340 crank is the damper will have a counter weight with the words "340 cast crank only"

The 340 cask crank has a large damper that looks a lot like a 360's damper. & yes say's cast crank 340 only cast rite on it.

He said it had a performance products balancer on it.
They have a bolt on weight on the balancer.
I don't think you can see the weight unless you pull the balancer.

Sire is correct on the balancer, I put my scope behind it and I think I see a bal-ncer. But the performance products site says 72 external balanced and the motor is a 73...

Sire is correct on the balancer, I put my scope behind it and I think I see a bal-ncer. But the performance products site says 72 external balanced and the motor is a 73...

Cranks on 72 & 73 are the same.
Sounds like you have a cast crank.
My machinist said the professional products SFI balancer is a good product.

-
Back