340 Distributor Problem

-

snowymountainman

Hair in the breeze
Reaction score
Need a little help guys.

Got the fish's exhaust hooked up so we set the timing and started playing a little bit. The car will not idle with the vacumn advance hooked up. It runs waay better at all RPM ranges with it disconnected. WTF?? :scratch:

Mopar Electronic Ignition, distributor is out of a later model 318 (police 318) running the orange box.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

First it should be a ported vacuum source. Not manifold vacuum. So that shouldn't effect idle quality.
Second What does it run like with the adv hooked up?
missfire? surge?

Surges and the idle kicks up about 500-700 rpm so I have to turn the idle screw back down and it runs like crap...

Here's the cam information too. Mopar electronic ignition (orange box)

ENGINE: CRS XE268H-10
PART# : 20-223-3
GRIND# : CRS XE268H-10

INTAKE EXHAUST
VALVE ADJUSTMENT HYD HYD
GROSS VALVE LIFT .477 .480
DURATION AT
.006 TAPPET LIFT 268 280
VALVE TIMING OPEN CLOSED
AT .006 INTAKE 28BTDC 60ABDC
EXHAUST 74BBDC 26ATDC
THESE ARE SPECS FOR CAM INSTALLED
AT 106.0 INTAKE CENTERLINE
INTAKE EXHAUST
DURATION AT .050 224 230
LOBE LIFT .3180 .3200
ROCKER ARM RATIO .00 .00
LOBE SEPARATION 110.0

901-16 SPRINGS REQUIRED
VALVE SPRING SPECS FURNISHED WITH SPRINGS.

Thanks fellas.

Is there vacuum at the hose from the carb at idle?
There shouldn't be. Make sure its a ported vacuum source.
If it is and the vacuum is still leaking past, you may have to turn the screw to open the secondary plate slightly, and close the primary so there is no vacuum.
What are you setting the timing to? At what rpm?

I'm about to go check the carb's advance port with a vacumn gauge so that I know just how much is there.

I think I got it handled. The idle mix screws were not set correctly and my timing was about 8 degrees off (total advance) so now it idles like a dragster and sounds pretty bitchin when you get on it. Now I gotta get this Lokar kickdown hooked up. I can't figure out just how in the hell the bracket that comes with it is supposed to work (carb end).

Now I gotta get this Lokar kickdown hooked up. I can't figure out just how in the hell the bracket that comes with it is supposed to work (carb end).

That bracket mounts on the trans end, not the carb end. See the pics in your other thread in the trans forum.

You will get better performance by leaving the advance unhooked & setting the timing @36 degrees@3000 rpms. The advance alot of times will put your timing @ 50+degrees btdc

-
Back