340 drivers side exhaust manfold question

-

wlecat

Reaction score
I have a 69 340 engine in my 67 Barracuda. I don't know what model it came out of, but the drivers side exhaust manifold is cracked at the end by the firewall (obnoxiously noisy). Question is for a replacement. Why does the manifold seem to tilt up so close to the spark plug wires when the other side just drops down? Are there other driver side factory LA exhaust manifolds that just drop down that would fit? Would that be a problem for this car? (doesn't seem to look like it). Not really interested in getting involved with headers, this car has more than enough power. Any ideas or wisdom?

it goes up to clear steering. I've seen people put rear exit low manifolds on a bodies but they always rubbed everywhere.id stick with a body manifolds and look into having yours fixed or find another one. you can usually score a nice 72 up driver side reasonably cheap.if the one you have is a 318 I'd toss it and get another....preferably a 340 set.

also check your heads, if there 587 castings early manifolds will not seat properly...could just be a gap causing the noise.
mike bee

2863553 should be the 340 manifold you are looking for and would be correct for a 1969 motor....However, the later 340 manifold will be cheaper

What is the difference between the 318, 360 and the 340 Hi-Po manifold. I'm looking at some prices out there and it might be better to get the headers after all

the machined spot just below the exhaust port(where the smog holes are in later heads) hits the manifold at the rear of the head...even 318 manifolds don't fit 587's or the 73 and later 318 heads.

What is the difference between the 318, 360 and the 340 Hi-Po manifold. I'm looking at some prices out there and it might be better to get the headers after all

318 ports are smaller then 340/360 ports so a 318 manifold is gonna choke it down. 340 and 360 LA engines have the same ports. Magnum heads the ports are slightly different.

Just make sure what ever you get will match up with exhaust pipe....type of gasket and location.....318 and 340 different.

Sounds like you have the "553" hp manifold. They bring some big bucks used. Whatever you do, don't toss it. It could possibly be repaired by a reputable welding shop.

Post some pix and someone will know what manifolds you have...i wouldnt toss a 340 manifold.

Thinking seriously about going with some shorty headers from Patriot for $205.
Thanks for the tip on the weld possibility.

Attachments

• pte-h8205_w_ml.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 258
Interestingly enough it turned out that the ear on the inner part of the manifold had broken off missed that one ...anyway, the previous owner used what looks like intake gaskets on the exhaust. Quality Steel Core Laminate Felpro gaskets filled the gap and there's no leaks (for now) bought me time until next spring for the headers

-
Back