340 Engine Mounts

-
Status
Not open for further replies.

darc1722

Reaction score
Will the 318 engine mounts from a 1970 Duster work on the 340 engine? Let me know, thanks.

You'll need to shim the drivers side mount. The ears on a 340 block are not as far apart as on a 318. I've seen washers, a nut, and a spacer spun on a lather. You can also weld on the bracket, either cut/narrow or plate the difference.

Actually that is incorrect. You can shim the 318 B/E mount and make it work on a B/E 340 swap. As you said, it's just slightly wider. HOWEVER, the A body driver's side 318 mount is TOTALLY different from the 340 A body mount. It's actually missing the ear where it would bolt to the block.
amountdifference.jpg

Here's the B/E body 318 and 340 mount comparison.As you can see, a shim is a very simple fix on THIS mount!
318340difference.jpg

The passenger side mount is the same on 318 and 340-360

I have a set of 318 mounts that have 4 ear holes in them and line up JUST fine on a 340-360 with a shim.

Carry on...

The 318 left mount I have looks exactly like the 340 I have...Only wider.
And can be spaced as mentioned...

What you have might be a 340 A body mount that might have been stretched or a B/E body mount. I've been doing mounts for many many years. The 67-72 273-318 A body mounts ALL came without the ear.

Guess mine are a figment of my imagination and I'm wrong...

Any time you say ALL you're asking for issues and setting up to be wrong.

Well HELL..I posted pictures..let's see YOURS! I see pictures of Goober and Saddam, and a lot of "just saying" , but I'm not seeing any images of original 67-72 A body 318 mounts with the ear attached. And since I've been doing engine swaps and disassembling them since 1974 and haven't seen one myself "never" is a pretty fair statement to make.

My avatar is a picture of ME. My screenname is my name. So I'm putting my NAME on this post.

I don't post much here because of crap like this, but Darc asked for info and was given an answer that I know for a fact from 35 years of personal experience to be wrong. The trouble with the internet is that, no matter what statement of fact you post, someone somewhere has done it differently, made it work, seen something else and is sure that they are right.

It's been said that, with a little engineering, you could put a saddle on a COW! You could modify the straps, trim the leather, work the shape, and (with a lot of training) you might even be able to RIDE the cow! But it's still a cow with a saddle on it. It just ain't right. Don't show up at my rodeo riding your cow with a homemade saddle and try to tell me it's a thoroughbred and that I just don't know horses!

Darc, simply look at my pictures and your mount. If you left mount looks like the one I posted, it will NOT work on a 340. If it is an B/E body mount (also pictured above) you will have issues making it work. If it is the 340 A body mount I've pictured above, it will work. you don't need to pay extra for Schumacher mounts (although they are very good).

Other than that, I am done with this thread. believe what you want from whom you like.
I'm breaking the "retard" rule.
retard.jpg

Yep, you don't know everything and the car that had the mount is not here. Should have said I had a set, sold it a few weeks ago. It had a 4 hole 318 drivers side a body bracket. Whether you want to believe it I don't give a Shiat. It wasn't altered or welded.

I didn't start the "you're incorrect" nonsense... YOU DID!

Never say Never or ALL when dealing with these things, PERIOD!

Carry on.

Ok, this makes me the biggest retard of the year but WTF???

Late last night, ALIENS landed in my backyard! They were very friendly, we had a few beers, talked telepathically for a couple of hours, then they got in their flying saucer and LEFT! Really! It actually happened! BUT...I DON'T HAVE ANY PICTURES!

You call MY pictures and information nonsense, but offer absolutely no proof of your own! Let's look at the indisputable FACTS of this post: The question was: "Will a 318 A body mount fit on a 340?" FACT: You said "yes if you shim it" Again look at the picture:
amountdifference.jpg

The mount on the right is a FACTORY "Mother Mopar" bona-fide 318 A body mount. It is what you will find if you are lucky enough to get an NOS one somewhere at an old dealership. It is what any factory parts manual will show you. It came on 99.999 percent of "non alien" 318 A bodies. THAT is a fact. If you can take THAT mount, shim it, and bolt it to a 340 engine...YOU ARE A MOPAR GOD!

The FACT is you can't. It's missing the ear to bolt on. It can't be done. If I gave you that mount YOU would have to admit that it can't be done. I said you are incorrect. THIS mount cannot be shimmed to work on a 340. The FACTS prove I'm right! This mount will NOT bolt to a 340! That's not nonsense.

So now YOUR answer is that "your mount didn't look like that".

So! You are saying that you had some RARE FACTORY EXCEPTION mount, but that I AM TALKING NONSENSE??? Your answer is "never say never?" Even if your fantasy mount is absolutely real, the fact is that I am still correct: A regular "run of the mill" 318 mount that most people asking the question are going to have on their motor will NOT bolt to a 340 with a shim. EVEN IF YOU HAD ONE THAT DID, it is incorrect to tell this guy that his mount is going to work, because the odds are that it will not. You are simply disseminating false information. That is a fact.

Again, I have spent WAY too much time on this subject, but I am developing a hypotheses to support YOUR claim. I really wish you had come up with the picture, because after one look, I could have verified my theory. While you CANNOT bolt a factory 318 A body mount to a 340, the inverse is NOT true...You can EASILY bolt a 340 A body mount to a 318! It is approximately 1/4 inch narrower, but with a shim it should bolt right on the block. The extra ear is just not used. Furthermore, if you DIDN'T shim the 340 mount, the torque on the bolts would "stretch" the 340 mount until it touched the ears, resulting in a wider 340 mount. Perhaps some tired line-worker on a Monday morning or a Friday afternoon did this because his bin was out of the correct part..I don't know. As the Mythbusters always say, it is plausable.

IF you got this car with the stretched mount and then tried to use that part on a 340..yes, it would easily work with a shim. I have given you a reasonable way out of this arguement. Can we PLEASE just tell the guy that most likely a shim won't work on his 318 mount???

I had an unaltered mount with four ear holes on it... FACT! Apparently another member or two also have wide SB mounts with 4 holes in them too. I've got a couple e-mails from those folks that don't want to be parcel to your tirade.

There are pictures of bigfoot, does it exist? :) I don't have a pic of the bracket because it never bothered me so much as to take one.

Here, does this make you feel better.

If you have a mount that has 4 holes in it, is too wide and will work, shim it. If not, then you have to weld or modify the pictured 273-318 bracket (which I've done a bunch of over the years) to grab the upper ear hole.

That's why I mention welding on the bracket in my first post. So a genius level person wouldn't try to shim a bracket that the holes don't line up. Seems pretty elementary.

Maybe you're still cranky about selling a rusty set of gears. :)

Carry on.

Stirring 'das sh@t pot,' dear Kimmer?

Just joshing- 318 spools are different from the 340/360 spools, in the same regards to the biscuit style mounts

Will the 318 engine mounts from a 1970 Duster work on the 340 engine? Let me know, thanks.

Best way to handle it, is to use the 318 bracket on the pass side, and get an A-body 340 bracket for the dr side.

Make sure it is an A-body 340 bracket, they are not the same as a 340 E-body bracket.

Or, you can go with Schumacher brackets.

Greg,
While I'm not taking sides here, I find your "Special Olympics" jab both offensive and unnecessary.

Best way to handle it, is to use the 318 bracket on the pass side, and get an A-body 340 bracket for the dr side.

Make sure it is an A-body 340 bracket, they are not the same as a 340 E-body bracket.

Or, you can go with Schumacher brackets.

I believe Shumaker may sell just the drivers side mount for around $80-90, IIRC.

Or if you can weld you could always do this with the low ear 318 mount. Altered to use on a 340-360 engine.

Picture001.jpg

Picture003-1.jpg

The spools can be shimmed. The bolt tabs are in the same location just narrower. I've even read (this is not something I know for certain) that Dodge offered a factory shim for the later 360 so they wouldn't have to make two sets of mounts.

Crack: By your reasoning a mount from a 2006 Hyundai will work on a 71 Dart. I once had one that someone had made. I don't have pictures of it but it existed. Therefore if someone asks if a 2006 Hyundai mount is the same on a 71 Dart, you say YES? If there was ever ONE..ANYWHERE, then it is ok to tell someone something that is absolutely factually incorrect? That is by far the most illogical argument I've ever heard. It also renders any further advice you give on this page suspect.

People need to double check the facts before listening to you. It's unfortunate for this board and the hobby that it's more important for you to protect your pride when proven wrong than to give a guy trying to fix his car accurate advice.

I will go back to the opening question on this thread. The 100 percent accurate answer is that his factory 318 mount will NOT work on his 340.

Any other "never say never', "maybe", "I had one once", "you can make it work", "aliens" "bigfoot", is just YOU blowing smoke out your *** to cover up the fact that you gave the guy the wrong answer. And, whether you EVER choose to admit it, any reasonable unbiased reader here can plainly see that to be the case.

The more you post the worse it looks for you. Let it go!

Going nowhere fast gentleman, the OP has a few examples he can check to see which one works for him and his 318. One thing I've learned over the years with these cars is seldom is there only one right answer. What should have worked doesn't at which time ya fire up the brain sparkers and find or build something that will work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back