340 engine re-ring/rebuild??

-

3406pk

Reaction score
Need some advice. I have 72 Challenger with 340 engine, 4 spd. I pulled the engine for body and engine compartment repair and paint. I did compression test and had 3 cyl down to 95-100 psi. I pulled heads and there is wear on cylinder wall of about 0.003-.005" on side. Would a new set of rings hold up with that ridge? The engine was running good when I pulled it. IF I need to rebuild it, it will be to stock 70-71 specs. So high HP is not important. What do you think. Will a ring only job hold up?

I'd find a replacement type piston .020"/.030" over and clean up those bores. Have the crank checked and put in fresh bearings and a stock replacement oil pump. Hey, the engine is already out, might as well freshen it now rather then going back in and doing it all over again in a short period of time.

I've rebuilt several engines with only a honing and new rings and they've held up and performed very well! Remove the ridge with a reamer or you may break the new rings. Of course this means you reuse the original pistons - not oversized.

I'd find a replacement type piston .020"/.030" over and clean up those bores. Have the crank checked and put in fresh bearings and a stock replacement oil pump. Hey, the engine is already out, might as well freshen it now rather then going back in and doing it all over again in a short period of time.

I'm with Rick on this one. For me too much work and money for a it might be ok against a I know it is done right. If it's a money thing then you got to do what you got to do.

i used to do ring and bearing jobs all the time,i'm too old for that **** now!i would go with old man rick......

Thanks for the replies and advice. I'll check costs & avail of oversize pistons & decide then. Thanks again.

-
Back