340 Engine Shake

-
Pressure plate, it vibrates at neutral or running down the street correct? Probably pretty bad but seems to go away at higher RPM? Is it unbearable to drive? Dash rattling?

I haven't ran it down the road yet. I put the rear on jack stands to verify clutch engagement and that is when I discovered the driveline shaking like crazy at the pinion. So I removed the driveline, put in a slip yoke and discovered the shake is coming from the engine. So that is where we sit now. I don't want to drive it with the driveline doing what it was doing.

I took the valve covers off yesterday and didn't notice anything broken as I thought the same thing. Is there something I can do besides a visual? Here is all my crank pictures that I have.

View attachment 1715970331

View attachment 1715970332

View attachment 1715970333

View attachment 1715970334

View attachment 1715970335
Strange you dont see alot drill holes in the crank counter weights. I only see one in the pic's.
Most balanced crankshafts will have material removed from the counter weights to balance out the assemble. The machinist will use a drill or an end mill to accomplish this and the marks are very visable.

Strange you dont see any drill holes in the crank counter weights.
Most balanced crankshafts will have material removed from the counter weights to balance out the assemble. The machinist will use a drill or an end mill to accomplish this and the marks are very visable.
I saw that also. there is one drill hole at the very rear, but you are correct, there are usually a few more.. I have a 340 crank on my bench right now, OP if it will help I will post a pic later. It may help to see how a internally balanced crank is drilled...let me know...

Yes, stock rods and KB hypers. I've never pulled plug wires while the motor was running. Just pull from the spark plug boot? Do I reconnect if nothing changes? I've verified firing order multiple times.
I dont know what ignition you are running but, I killed a new MSD box pulling plug wires.

I dont know what ignition you are running but, I killed a new MSD box pulling plug wires.

I have MSD pro billet dist (mechanical advance locked out for efi timing) and an MSD EFI 6 box. I don't think I am going to pull the wires. I put the timing light on each wire and temped the tubes, so I don't THINK I have a dead cylinder.

The unit doesn't but I have a gauge inside the car and I didn't notice anything unusual.

I'll deffer to the crowd.. sounds like it's going lean to me. IMHO if it were neutral, internal, external balance issues or the like shake would be constant.

I saw that also. there is one drill hole at the very rear, but you are correct, there are usually a few more.. I have a 340 crank on my bench right now, OP if it will help I will post a pic later. It may help to see how a internally balanced crank is drilled...let me know...

At this point I think anything will help. :) I can't speak to the balancing though. The machine work was done so long ago, that I just don't remember and I don't have the sheet. Those pictures of the block and crank were taken in 2012

If everything regarding the EFI such as AFR, timing and such remains steady, IMO this points toward something physical such as out of balance. Over the internet diagnosis is a guess at best.

At this point I think anything will help. :) I can't speak to the balancing though. The machine work was done so long ago, that I just don't remember and I don't have the sheet. Those pictures of the block and crank were taken in 2012

I think reposting your videos would help the crowd. I doubt it's a balancing issue, mostly because it seems to idle smooth then 'surge' occasionally. There's quite a few settings in the Fitech which can have an effect on this. I fought the same thing, and had put it down to my cam for a long time - but after lots of fine tuning, I was able to nearly eliminate it.
Maybe try going back into the idle control, and you should find 'idle trim jump' both pos and neg. Cut them in half or reduce them by 1/3 and see if it helps. The way AFR control works in closed loop is for the computer to 'jump' the mixture, then trim it across the target. So for instance, if you program the idle AFR as 14.5, it'll jump to 14.1, then reduce fuel with each rev until it hits say 14.8, then jump back to 14.1 - these are just made up numbers, reality they're much smaller. It does this rather than try to 'chase' an idle AFR setting back and forth. When the jump setting is large, the swing in AFR can be come excessive and cause headaches. Too small though, and your idle can become unstable.

If you leave the key on for ~45 seconds, your AFR should go from 14.7 to 20+. The heater in the O2 has to warm up the sensor before it reads properly. Heat from the engine can also warm it up, but if it never leaves 14.7 after key-on (without starting), the sensor may be bad.

Since the EFI isn't showing a change in vac or AFR or anything, I'd hook up a vacuum gauge and see what there is to see. The way the engine changes revs and shakes, I expect the vacuum is actually changing. Lots of Fitech units have been known to have a bad seal of the MAP to the throttle body. There's lots of videos and discussion forums which tackle the issue.

I think reposting your videos would help the crowd. I doubt it's a balancing issue, mostly because it seems to idle smooth then 'surge' occasionally. There's quite a few settings in the Fitech which can have an effect on this. I fought the same thing, and had put it down to my cam for a long time - but after lots of fine tuning, I was able to nearly eliminate it.
Maybe try going back into the idle control, and you should find 'idle trim jump' both pos and neg. Cut them in half or reduce them by 1/3 and see if it helps. The way AFR control works in closed loop is for the computer to 'jump' the mixture, then trim it across the target. So for instance, if you program the idle AFR as 14.5, it'll jump to 14.1, then reduce fuel with each rev until it hits say 14.8, then jump back to 14.1 - these are just made up numbers, reality they're much smaller. It does this rather than try to 'chase' an idle AFR setting back and forth. When the jump setting is large, the swing in AFR can be come excessive and cause headaches. Too small though, and your idle can become unstable.

If you leave the key on for ~45 seconds, your AFR should go from 14.7 to 20+. The heater in the O2 has to warm up the sensor before it reads properly. Heat from the engine can also warm it up, but if it never leaves 14.7 after key-on (without starting), the sensor may be bad.

Since the EFI isn't showing a change in vac or AFR or anything, I'd hook up a vacuum gauge and see what there is to see. The way the engine changes revs and shakes, I expect the vacuum is actually changing. Lots of Fitech units have been known to have a bad seal of the MAP to the throttle body. There's lots of videos and discussion forums which tackle the issue.
Yeah, the EFI can make it do all kinda stuff. I think trying the carburetor idea is a pretty good one, although I don't know how much trouble it'd be to work around the EFI.

Yeah, the EFI can make it do all kinda stuff. I think trying the carburetor idea is a pretty good one, although I don't know how much trouble it'd be to work around the EFI.

I've wanted to try a carb on mine to see the difference. The issue I have with swapping mine to a carb is the fuel system. I have an in-tank EFI pump, which might put out a little more than the carb could handle
:rofl:

Nothing a regulator couldn't fix, but..

I've wanted to try a carb on mine to see the difference. The issue I have with swapping mine to a carb is the fuel system. I have an in-tank EFI pump, which might put out a little more than the carb could handle

I'm sure it would. It's dependent on the pump. Some pumps can stand it while others cannot. If you have a return, that'll help, but even still some pumps don't play well when they are "backed up" so to speak.

I'm in the same boat. In tank fuel pump, with a return. I'd have to buy a regulator and borrow a carb.

I will repost the video so everyone can see. I'm willing to try fine tuning again.

Here is what I have on my list:

Compression test
Vacuum Guage - what port on TB to use?
Check 02 - KOEO (can you confirm your sensor works this way?) I asked the remote tuner and he said the 02 was fine and wasn't aware that Fitech programming worked that way.

Here is the engine video. (this is with the driveline removed and a slip yoke installed)

Here is the video that started it all (I believe that the driveline shake was the end result of the engine shake)

I will repost the video so everyone can see. I'm willing to try fine tuning again.

Here is what I have on my list:

Compression test
Vacuum Guage - what port on TB to use?
Check 02 - KOEO (can you confirm your sensor works this way?) I asked the remote tuner and he said the 02 was fine and wasn't aware that Fitech programming worked that way.

I know mine works that way (KOEO, starts at 14.7, warms up and then goes to 20+) because I've had the sensor die on my several times. Each time, it stopped responding and would only output 14.7. One died and stuck at 20.1 (reading on the handheld, at least).
I think in the dashboard it will list the temperature of the sensor too - but it's been a long time since I went looking for that.

The reason I question it, is that readings SHOULD change as the engine is running. My rpm fluctuates +-150 over time, and updates a couple times a second. Same for other readings. If they're steady and remain unchanged, that would be strange.

The MAP kPa reading should vary slightly at idle, and how it varies would give an idea of what might be going on.

I'd check idle vac using any of the ports on the back of the TB - also verify that none are unplugged or unused. I've had rough running at idle after a minor backfire blew a cap off mine (I have PCV hooked up, but no brake booster, so I have at least one larger cap).

Put a carb on it and try it. You can pull the fuse from the in tank pump and just fill the bowls manually. It will run on the bowl long enough for diagnostics. I’m betting this is a balance issue with stock crank/rods and lighter KB pistons.

I know mine works that way (KOEO, starts at 14.7, warms up and then goes to 20+) because I've had the sensor die on my several times. Each time, it stopped responding and would only output 14.7. One died and stuck at 20.1 (reading on the handheld, at least).
I think in the dashboard it will list the temperature of the sensor too - but it's been a long time since I went looking for that.

The reason I question it, is that readings SHOULD change as the engine is running. My rpm fluctuates +-150 over time, and updates a couple times a second. Same for other readings. If they're steady and remain unchanged, that would be strange.

The MAP kPa reading should vary slightly at idle, and how it varies would give an idea of what might be going on.

I'd check idle vac using any of the ports on the back of the TB - also verify that none are unplugged or unused. I've had rough running at idle after a minor backfire blew a cap off mine (I have PCV hooked up, but no brake booster, so I have at least one larger cap).

Ok, I can double check the 02 I went out there this morning and koeo and it just stayed at 14.7. I didn't stay out very long though. To be clear the RPM does move around, just not a dramatic drop. Ill do another quick video of the dashboard sensors tonight.

I only have a pcv hooked up, the other two ports are plugged, one big and one small.

Ok, I can double check the 02 I went out there this morning and koeo and it just stayed at 14.7. I didn't stay out very long though. To be clear the RPM does move around, just not a dramatic drop. Ill do another quick video of the dashboard sensors tonight.

I only have a pcv hooked up, the other two ports are plugged, one big and one small.

OK, that sounds more normal - moving around a bit, but not much.
A video of the dashboard sensors would probably help a bit.

When you set the idle and IAC steps - did you adjust both screws (for primary AND secondary), or just the primary ones? Updated instructions from Fitech suggest using both. First back them both off completely, then screw each in to just barely touching, then adjust equal from there. I've found this definitely helps with very light throttle cruise and for idle.

OK, that sounds more normal - moving around a bit, but not much.
A video of the dashboard sensors would probably help a bit.

When you set the idle and IAC steps - did you adjust both screws (for primary AND secondary), or just the primary ones? Updated instructions from Fitech suggest using both. First back them both off completely, then screw each in to just barely touching, then adjust equal from there. I've found this definitely helps with very light throttle cruise and for idle.

I saw those update instructions, but Ive never had trouble getting the IAC to respond, so I never touched the back screw. Of course I haven't driven it either. lol. do you think the MAP reading will show something off if the seal is squished? Im worried about removing that front cover and checking it, if I don't have to, mainly due to how much is packed in there.

Put a carb on it and try it. You can pull the fuse from the in tank pump and just fill the bowls manually. It will run on the bowl long enough for diagnostics. I’m betting this is a balance issue with stock crank/rods and lighter KB pistons.

I can see if I can track down a carb. How does the distributor react being locked out? So the weights and springs have been removed, so the efi can control the timing

Have you tried changing the parameters of the EFI just for the hell of it?

-
Back