340 fuel issue stalling or excessive crank

-

drive48

MILK MAN
Reaction score
Morning all.
I have a 70 340-4spd dart w/3.55:1's.
I am running a holley 4160 (4777-7) 650 cfm on my 340 x-head with mopar aluminum intake. Headers and flowmasters. Purple cam, motor has been worked.
Occassionally i'll take an extended run down the highway and get off the exit ramp, come to the light and it will seem to run out of fuel or want to stall. I will have to extended crank with foot to floor to get to run. Then drive fuel miles before it works out. The other scenario is on easter weekend i took it to my mom's and it was in the mid 80's that day.
I parked there for 30-45 minutes. Went out to start and it cranked for ever before it fired had the pedal to the metal.
Is it running itself dry? Do i need to run a fuel regulator and guage?
I have mopar electronic dist., coil ,with orange box which is showing good spark. Should i upgrade electric system also? thx all Joe in CT.

340 4 speed 3.55's 8.75 holley 4160 650 cfm double

DSC05296.jpg

DSC05297.jpg

DSC05300.jpg

How close is the vent tubs to you breather lid,thoes vent tubs on a holley need lots of room.Too close and it will not work good .

Sounds like fuel boiling .... Did you block off crossover on that aluminum intake ?

Flooding, and running rich all the time. See how black it is?
yeah i saw that wasn't sure if that was a result of the possible flooding boiling issue. where should i start 1st? should i block the crossover like recommended? i checked my vent tube clearance and its good but likely could be better. what is the ideal conditions and way to properly adjust the carb/ in your experience?
thx joe

Which cam is it and what the initial timing #.

If it's one of the larger purple hydraulics, it's going to want at least 15* BTDC for timing.

Which cam is it and what the initial timing #.

If it's one of the larger purple hydraulics, it's going to want at least 15* BTDC for timing.
ill check base timing. it should be checked with vacuum advance unhooked, correct? as for which cam not totally sure i have a feeling it is 284 /284 lift - 484 /484 duration
any way of knowing without tearing down engine?

ill check base timing. it should be checked with vacuum advance unhooked, correct? as for which cam not totally sure i have a feeling it is 284 /284 lift - 484 /484 duration
any way of knowing without tearing down engine?

Correct.

If it's a 284/484 make that about 18-22* initial as long as it doesn't kick back on the starter when hot. You could try putting a dial indicator on the retainer and measuring lift. It won't be entirely accurate with the crappy valvetrain angles in a SB. Give you an idea of which cam it may be.

You'll probably be in the distributor to limit advance so your total is OK.

BTW, Nice looking ride!

foot to the floor cranking and black carb definately flooding indicators how much fuel pressure? try around 5 to 5.5 psi. if adjustable

Correct.

If it's a 284/484 make that about 18-22* initial as long as it doesn't kick back on the starter when hot. You could try putting a dial indicator on the retainer and measuring lift. It won't be entirely accurate with the crappy valvetrain angles in a SB. Give you an idea of which cam it may be.

You'll probably be in the distributor to limit advance so your total is OK.

BTW, Nice looking ride!
thank you i will work on that next few days and follow up wit ya. thank you the dart is my weekend terror.
my 66 coronet is my sleeper.

foot to the floor cranking and black carb definately flooding indicators how much fuel pressure? try around 5 to 5.5 psi. if adjustable
i don't have but am getting a fuel pressure guage and regulator this week. any suggestions which to run?
i know it is running rich i turned in adjusters to max lean and backed each out 1.5 turns to start. i am going to check timing and fuel bowl level settings monday.

-
Back