340 Good Combo’s where to find here?

-

340inabbody

Reaction score
Hi I am still on the fence regarding a rebuild of my 340. I know if I posted a question like “Whats a good combo for my 340?” Everyone would have an opinion even if they never built an engine let alone a 340 (not that its special but specific). Also I am aware what is “good” for one application is not necessarily good for another ie application specific.

So is there a thread that anyone is aware of having tried and true combinations of their build?

I understand there are lots of variables and differing goals but maybe they are explained for each combo and documented in a way that can be fairly replicated.

Why reinvent the wheel if there are known good combinations?

Thanks

The build will depend on what you want to use the car for, street, race, or combination. If your pockets are deep enough, you can build a romping stomping engine, but if you are like me you build one on a shoestring budget.

Go to the racers sub-forum and look at the 13 second, 12 second, 11 second etc threads. They may help you decide with a direction you want to take. There is also an older hotrod magazine where they build a 340 engine which does pretty well. Its essentially the route I took with mine. Or just start buying **** and dont stop until the wife tells you to stop haha.

The build will depend on what you want to use the car for, street, race, or combination. If your pockets are deep enough, you can build a romping stomping engine, but if you are like me you build one on a shoestring budget.
Is there a
Go to the racers sub-forum and look at the 13 second, 12 second, 11 second etc threads. They may help you decide with a direction you want to take. There is also an older hotrod magazine where they build a 340 engine which does pretty well. Its essentially the route I took with mine. Or just start buying **** and dont stop until the wife tells you to stop haha.
lol I like the last idea the best!

Really, I think you already know the answer and stated it. "What's a good combo for one person, isn't for the next guy".. Yes, I've built 340, but that means nothing. You need to be specific on what you want your car to do. Gas mileage a concern?? Highway cruising a concern??? Blistering down the drag way a concern??? Budget a concern???? Too many intangibles unless you narrow it down.

Really, I think you already know the answer and stated it. "What's a good combo for one person, isn't for the next guy".. Yes, I've built 340, but that means nothing. You need to be specific on what you want your car to do. Gas mileage a concern?? Highway cruising a concern??? Blistering down the drag way a concern??? Budget a concern???? Too many intangibles unless you narrow it down.
I am not asking for advice on the build here. As stated I am asking if there is a place on thus forum where combos are documented.

And don't forget the "Oldies but Goodies"- the DC engine manuals and build recommendations from the back of the DC catalogs. I don't know if they're buried somewhere on this site, but they should be! A basic blueprint for each engine and performance level. Somewhat dated (duh), but still valid. Especially for first timers.

And don't forget the "Oldies but Goodies"- the DC engine manuals and build recommendations from the back of the DC catalogs. I don't know if they're buried somewhere on this site, but they should be! A basic blueprint for each engine and performance level. Somewhat dated (duh), but still valid. Especially for first timers.
DC not familiar ??

340's were THE perfect street performance small block. Run them as is. High compression, 68-71, or low compression, 72 and 73. The only thing I'd change is stainless steel valves, pocket port the heads, and get a custom cam for your intended usage. Get good machining and your in the 13's or better. And you can drive it anywhere, anytime.

Since Chrysler likely had more engine building knowledge than all of us combined I would say a stock rebuild is not a bad combination.

(Waiting for the slings and arrows...)

-
Back