340 help

-

67barracuda

Reaction score
What do you think of this small block set up;
340 .030 over
9.5 or 10 to 1 compression
RV2 cam; 274/451 (I think this is the correct lift and duration for an RV2?)
Performer2 intake
edelbrock 600 carb
j-heads, not sure if any work has been done to them.
Any idea what kind of hp it should put out? What would you do to get the greatest increase in hp to this set up?
This is in my new notchback with an 904 auto trans and 3.23 gears.

Looks like the 300 ballpark as far as HP goes but that carb is a little on the light side. I had one on my 340 with about the same build. It had awesome bottom end performance but it would crap out around 4500-5000. I put on a Holley 4165 spreadbore and it made all the difference in the world. I might mention I'm up here at 5000 feet in elevation too. That may make a difference somewhere in the equation.

What's a performer 2 intake ?
More cam and carb will help your hp numbers.

Have to agree ...think you might be a little light on the carb & cam

I'm running 340 + 40 over, 484 cam , J heads too, 750 edelbrock carb on a older edlerbrock TM-5 intake, 4 sp ,3.91's... not sure on the hp but figure I'm at least 300

Intake is an edelbrock Performer. I have a Holley 750 I'll try this weekend and see how responds. Thanks for they input.

Is the intent to race or primarily a driver. If to race you are way light on both cam and carb. If is to be a driver then the cam is probably a good chose for drivability but you may want a little more carb. A holly 650 is a good chose with that cam and has all the adjustability you will ever need, and should work well for the accasional trip down the strip.

Yes, this is going to be primarily driver. No headers yet, but soon. I thinking at the same time going with a a longer ratio rocker to get alittle more lift out of the cam if you think it would help any? Is a 750 carb worth trying or is it to big for this set up?

For the present set-up you have, a 750 isn't going to make much difference if any. Especially for a driver.

What exhaust manifolds do you have ? Hi-Po 340 manifolds ?
Do the J heads have the bigger valves ?

-
Back