340 Id

-

jim

Reaction score
I have a 340 i am trying to ID. what number am i looking for to find year of production? Is it the block casting? is there a place to check these numbers?

Thanks

look on the oil pan rail drivers side there is a partial vin...also if block is stamped say 1970-something it would have gone in a 1971 casting dates most of the tome were a year behind due to seasoning of the cast iron

Look on the side of the block. Cast into the side is the date of production(Pass side). On the opposite side(Drivers side, last 3 or 4 didgets) there will be the displacement of that block. Anything dated from the middle of the year could have ended up in the following year car. The early months should have ended up in that years cars. Let us know what you find. Is the motor still in the car? If so is there a washer welded to the front of the K frame of that car? What does the fender tag say on the bottom line, first didgets? What car is it?, if there is even a car.
Small Block

Acually i have 2 engines that came out of a boat. The engines were flooded for about a year but nothing is wrong when i took them apart. Hey they were free. I am told the marine engines have forged steel cranks. I will try to look for numbers today

Casting number on the side will give you the date it was cast.

Look on the front surface of block, just below drivers side head. Should have a series of numbers stamped there. Might look something like this:

EW340P29980006

If it has those numbers, post them up and some one can decode them

Also, be careful if these came out of a twin engine boat. One of them may be reverse rotation. The rear seal knurl is the opposite direction and leaks like crazy when spun normal rotation.

The blocks are the same so that's a good thing, especially FREE!

Most marine engines have a different crank and won't work in a car. double check them to see if they will work before you spend any money on them.

Got both engines apart and I can see the cating dates. Both were made 11/24/72. on the passenger side the casting number is 2780930340-4 and the other is 2780930340-3. I did not see any Knurl marks on ether crank. One engine is standard sizes while the other is 0.010 / 0.010 with a standard bore.
Thanks for all the info guys.

-
Back