340 in early abody

-

nick455440

Reaction score
have been rounding up parts for a /6 to 340 swap in a 65 Valiant, Disk brake k frame off of a 66 formula S, buckets, console,340, 8 3/4, early 70’s 904 ect.. have a few questions for those that have done this, have heard of people running a manual valve body with a floor shifter because it’s hard to get the kickdown right in these swaps, was wondering if that’s true and if so is a manual VB a pain,
also any special oil pan or will any V8 abody pan work
And does anyone know if there a issues with the hood closing on a early A with a V8 and a performer rpm? Thanks all

Any passenger oil pan will work ( front -mid sump)
I'm using a Hurts cable shifter with no issues
You'll need a recessed air cleaner
I would think any kickdown should work (but not an an expert on this)
And you'll need to modify the early A motor mounts to work.
Otherwise it's a bolt in

Oh and if you using a 727 trans you may have to knock out the fire wall a little

Last edited:
An early A kickdown linkage works fine on your 904- others can be made to work. Otherwise use a cable linkage, Bouchillon makes a good kit using the Magnum cable. No need to go full manual if you don't want to.
Most passcar pans for 273/318/340 (NOT 360) will work, but may require a dimple in the pan to clear the steering at full lock. Some pans already have this, not sure of the number. I'm sure somebody will chime in with that.
Hood clearance will be tight, especially if you have to start shimming your motor mounts for header clearance/fitment.

I grabbed the kickdown off of a 66foula s with a 273 that I may try to make work,
the Layson mounts, do they pretty much drop in, hear some mounts u have to modify for this swap, cutting a tab off or something

I grabbed the kickdown off of a 66foula s with a 273 that I may try to make work,
the Layson mounts, do they pretty much drop in, hear some mounts u have to modify for this swap, cutting a tab off or something
They're are a bolt on but it's not that hard to make the 273 mounts work. On the drivers side I used a small pipe and washers as spacers and didn't need to cut or weld, I didn't need to anything to the passenger side.

K-frame is the same on all 63-66 A-body cars....just need a V8 center drop link from a 64-66 273 car.

Last edited:
No issues with my hood closing with a 340 underneath it :D

3E2D412C-357B-4D9B-A66F-98AB8D6FB5D1.jpeg

S-A63LA. Go to Layson’s website look up 66 dart conversion mounts this number will come up
Got it. thank you! in the descrip it mentions using a V8 kmember & with the V8 & /6 kmembers being the same is this a non issue EDIT I found the page with all of the kits & on the s-a63la descrip it does say /6 or V8 kmembers so its all good. thank you again

Last edited:
340 exhaust choices will be your biggest hurdle...manifolds or headers? Very few choices for each....and headers cost a lot more on the early cars too.

I went with early-a 63-66 Hooker Super Comp fenderwall headers....love the look and fit.

I think I may do the Doug’s through autozone 20% off deal, the slip tube kinda worries me and I have heard they are a PITA but I hate putting togeather a mild 340 and running manifolds, do u have to cut a lot of the car for the fender wells? After that the install easier that the dougs?

I think dougs osa really good option and that is a really good deal through AutoZone I got a set of dougs for my 340 project in my 66 dart Good luck with your project

I am running a stock dual plane 340 manifold on my 64 dart and have zero clearance to the hood. I could get back about an inch maybe more if I change the air cleaner. i also have Dougs headers, power steering and a 4 speed. A smaller starter and A flaming river Ujoint for the steering. God Help me if the starter goes. The clutch Z bar hits the Headers.

i just bought tti's headers n exhaust system for my conversion . 340 6pck 4spd in a 64 cuda 273 4 spd , my issue is clutch , i've got a 10'' single disc in it and the 318 made it junk , the 340 would be even more power to control . there is a 10'' double disc setup by weber , right ? or do i have to get this custom built ? i've seen this aircleaner used on early a bodies to clear the hood risers torsion bars .
DSC00941.JPG
DSC00942.JPG
DSC00939.JPG

just a standard heavy duty setup . but i heard someone was doing a double 10'' disc setup . more surface area reduce the heat , and if there cookie cutter pads on the disc the pressure is not lost .

I have run a Victor 340 and M1 intakes with no problem, you can still fit a 1 inch spacer too, have also used a Moroso deep pan and a Milodon wide pan, just need to cut a small notch in K frame for the Milodon, just like the later A bodies

so the 67-up milodon wide and the 67-up moroso deep pan fits as well . just some notching like all the rest .

-
Back