340 intake and carb combo

-

Skezix

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Have a 71 340 that has the orig intake/afb carb.. Carb is in need of rebuild/retore.. Putting the 340 into a 71 demon 318 I am saving. Opinions on if I should stick with stock intake and attempt to get this carb back in working order or should I just go aftermarket and what combo's are working for the 340's.. I have all the orig tranny/throttle linkage so figured stick with edelbrock in attempt to reuse it. Stock rebuild engine, nothing fancy. Thanks for the input in advance.

Well, you'll get all kinds of answers on that. There's every combo and opinion imaginable.

My opinion- Street car, for ease I'd throw on the stock intake and an Edlebrock/ Carter and use all the existing stuff
You will need the edelbrock throttle lever adapter however, to put things in the right place for cable and kickdown.

Or throw a Holley on it- also need an adapter to use existing kickdown.

All depends on budget and what you want to do I guess.

There is nothing wrong with the '71 4bbl. setup- other than the weight of the cast iron manifold, it remains a very good all-purpose manifold. If the Carter is rebuildable, throw a kit in it; if not, get an Eddy and bolt everything up. You'll only need the throttle lever adapter for Mopars. Sell the Carter to a restorer.

Well, you'll get all kinds of answers on that. There's every combo and opinion imaginable.

My opinion- Street car, for ease I'd throw on the stock intake and an Edlebrock/ Carter and use all the existing stuff
You will need the edelbrock throttle lever adapter however, to put things in the right place for cable and kickdown.

Or throw a Holley on it- also need an adapter to use existing kickdown.

All depends on budget and what you want to do I guess.
Treed me!

Best of the stock iron manifolds. I’d be reluctant to use that carb as its worth too much money and damn near impossible to find parts for. I’d get a street demon for a street car and put the TQ in storage.

Have a 71 340 that has the orig intake/afb carb.. Carb is in need of rebuild/retore.. Putting the 340 into a 71 demon 318 I am saving. Opinions on if I should stick with stock intake and attempt to get this carb back in working order or should I just go aftermarket and what combo's are working for the 340's.. I have all the orig tranny/throttle linkage so figured stick with edelbrock in attempt to reuse it. Stock rebuild engine, nothing fancy. Thanks for the input in advance.
It is it a Carter AFB or is it a Carter thermoquad that you have? In your first sentence you say it's an AFB but a 71 came out with a thermo quad. First year for the thermo quad I believe. That particular carburetor (the thermoguad) is a one year only. I think.

If you're taking the engine out anyway, take 40 lbs off the front end and pick up a few HP with a good aftermarket dual plane manifold and a Edelbrock AFB style carb, or even upgrade to an Edelbrock AVS2. My preference is an old Edelbrock LD340, but the newest Edelbrock dual plane manifolds are also excellent. A Weiand Stealth is also an excellent choice and can often be had for less cost.

Firstly, in 1971 if the carb is OEM, it is either a Carter AVS or first version of the Carter TQ [ 1971 only ]. Not an AFB.
If it had an AVS originally & now has an Edel carb [ AVS or AFB ], either carb is very well made & reliable; & rebuild kits readily available.
If it is a 1971 TQ, they are hard to get parts for but you could rebuild it & use it if the internals look good. Or use a 1972 or later TQ.
Holleys & speed demons are best left on the shelf.....along side the other junk.

Go this route.

20220805_111233.jpg

I’ve got an edelbrock air gap new in box with bolt kit and gaskets , as well as a 650 avs2 carb that’s like two months old is well. my 340 started making metal and I think I’m going to go stroker.

What’s your performance goals and budget. You can go pretty quick with those parts. If it is a one year only thermoquad. You might do well to sell it and you have your choice. Like stated above, if it is coming apart and you have the money, no reason not to go aftermarket aluminum dual plane. Not to discount the stock intake.

That’s the problem. Most of those who claim they are junk claim they can tune them. But they cant.
That’s the problem. Most of those who claim they are junk claim they can tune them. But they cant.
I would go with the carb that you or someone you know can setup correctly.

For me I do much better with the Holly dual line setups but I have more experience with them. Not so much with the avs or tq style, so I don't run them.

For me it's easier to drain a bowl and swap out jets or valve if needed and easy to adjust float levels but again that's just one guys opinion.

Hope it works out.

Carb tuning for some might be: slap it on, twist the idle mixture screws a little this way or that, get it to stay running in gear and learn to live with its boggy bloated crappiness until they can get a better carb!:lol:

Carb tuning for some might be: slap it on, twist the idle mixture screws a little this way or that, get it to stay running in gear and learn to live with its boggy bloated crappiness until they can get a better carb!:lol:
That's most people :lol:

Any carb can make power but at the end of the day its all just physics and chemistry.

Last edited:
-
Back