340 J converter

-

duster360

Reaction score
How can I tell if the torque converter I have is a factory J converter that was used behind the 340? Are there any distinctive markings? I am fairly certain what I have is a J converter since I have had the engine and transmission since the mid '70's.

IMG_0972.JPG

IMG_0973.JPG

That is a factory high stall but not J or 069J convertor. I don't think they were ever behind a 340. I believe in Hemi race applications. and they were 9 1/2". I believe that to be a 10" or 10 1/2".

Seems like I remember reading that somewhere a long time ago. Guess I got them mixed up. It is a 10 1/2" I believe.

You have to be careful. Just because the converter is smaller than the ring gear, doesn't necessarily mean it's a factory high stall. I have seen them both ways. They are almost 100% of the time stamped somewhere on the converter body somehow.

The first criteria for it to be a real 069J is that it will be 9 1/2". Most you'll find are 10 1/2" and larger.

It appears to be a modified converter, by someone in the past. Look closely at the ring gear mounting to the body. From the factory the 12" converter used a narrow (about 1/2") ring gear, and the 11" converter used a wide(about 1") ring gear. The 1" ring gear was a one piece unit, not like the one that appears to be a two piece (welded) ring gear. All 340's ran an 11" converter from the factory.
The other thing that makes me think it is not a factory converter is the poor welding job were the two halves are welded, plus I've never seen a factory converter painted.
In any case, if you're going to use this converter, it needs some attention. From the photos, I'd say the hub needs to be replaced(badly scored), and who knows what else inside the unit.

I ran this converter for a few years back in the early 90's and my dad used it through the 70's. Worked great. Picture makes the snout look bad, but it really isn't.

Last edited:
-
Back