340 mild build 727 stall converter question?

-

flathead31coupe

Reaction score
I recently purchased a duster that has a 340 in it. Mild build mild cam 727 transmission 391 gears. It also has a stall in it that seems to be rather high. I noticed that it seems kind of lazy until you put your foot in it. Then it'll move pretty quickly. The guy I bought it from said that he was not a mechanic and somebody else did the work so he does not have any idea of what was done. The stall seems really high like 3500 or 3000. My question is driving in normal traffic. It just seems kind of lazy and I have to keep the RPMs up to make it move. But if I come from a dead stop or really give it gas driving it in traffic, it seems to move out pretty good. I'm not familiar with a high stall converter operation and have not driven a car with a higher stall.

Sounds like a 3000/3500 stall converter. Some converters are loose as your describing. They make Tight converters that don't do what yours is doing now.

without knowing the engine specs you can't do anything but guess, but if it truly has a small cam a stock 2300 stall converter is perfect

I'm just trying to make some sense of normal operation. It doesn't slip when it shifts or anything. It just feels lazy idling from the stoplight unless I'm into it. At that point it comes alive which is not a bad thing. I'm just not used to a small block and a stall converter. Plus it seems to be a little temperamental since it's gotten cold or outside and the tranny acts way better after it gets warm

Sounds like just an old school converter in it. Probably needs something more modern.

I agree. The old school ones did a lot of slipping at low speeds and were not very efficient so mileage suffered bad. Kim

-
Back