340 mopar crane cam

-

Moparhead

Reaction score
hey guys anyone running the craneH-278-2 467/494 cam in a built streetcar im talkin
10.1 comp ported x or j heads edelbrokc intake and carb? or usning cranes cousin cam H-228/3200-2S-8 lift is 480/494. my question basicly is which one is better for combo thank you ps rough idle that makes the car shake

i did mess up posting in wrong form earlyer

transmission is a 833 4 spd rear is 8 3/4 with 391 gears

Last edited:
What converter and gears? The second cam in your post calls for 3000+ converter rpm range 3000 to 6500 so probably 3.55s minimum. For stock converter and 3.23s first cam would be better.

i usally run comp but here crane has some good cams with good range lift

Last edited:
What converter and gears? The second cam in your post calls for 3000+ converter rpm range 3000 to 6500 so probably 3.55s minimum. For stock converter and 3.23s first cam would be better.
i got it fixed on add its got a833 transmission and 391 gears

Then I myself would go for the second cam. It should have some lope but not to rough. I prefer holley carbs. A 750 should work fine. The rpm air gap should work also. It gives little hp to a single plane in that rpm range.

I too like holly carbs have you used the crane cam or heard how Esther idel. I haven't seen many in 340s-360s

I seen the 467-494 and I've never heard that one in a car. Wanted to know how lopie it was. I know the second cams a pretty good bump stick

Rumblefish will chime in,he has had multiple builds with Crane grinds.

I'f I knew how to up load a video I would. I usally just run comp cams. Xe274h is my favorite. But my 340 got crane

I had a bone stock 73 charger 400 4bbl. and 3.23 gears. I put the crane 278 in it and changed nothing else. It ran better everywhere. From 1000 to 5500. I don't know why but that car ran very strong.

Ive ran a lot of different cams. Erson, Isky, crane, engle, comp, lunati, mp, and howards. Ive been using howards lately and have been very pleased with them. There are no magic cams. Just make sure it matches your combo.

I had a bone stock 73 charger 400 4bbl. and 3.23 gears. I put the crane 278 in it and changed nothing else. It ran better everywhere. From 1000 to 5500. I don't know why but that car ran very strong.
do you have a video of the car running i hear the smaller cam is pretty lumpy.. my 340 has a crane 494 lift cam in it but that things a ground pounder a buddy had the smaller one in a 318 and i dont remember it being that aggressive

Sorry I do not. That's been gone for almost 20 years. Didn't have cell phones to record clips. That cam in the 400 sounded almost stock pretty smooth idle.

ya thats not the cam then cause this ones a bit on the shake side thank you for the help and to your previous responce i love the mp cams im running one in my 440

The H-278 is one of my favorites. Used it numerous times. It will not idle rough. It idles noticeably when cold but when warm, sounds like a stock 340. Outpulls the HELL out of a stock 340 cam though. Great cam.

The H-278 is one of my favorites. Used it numerous times. It will not idle rough. It idles noticeably when cold but when warm, sounds like a stock 340. Outpulls the HELL out of a stock 340 cam though. Great cam.

you happen to have a video of it running? and thank you the cam i got is quite nasty shakes the whole car and you can notice it even at a fast idle say 1500-1700.. its i think its the 480-494 or comp 491 lift. been 5 years

This IS TRUTH... They just flat ,work....

you happen to have a video of it running? and thank you the cam i got is quite nasty shakes the whole car and you can notice it even at a fast idle say 1500-1700.. its i think its the 480-494 or comp 491 lift. been 5 years

I wish I did. All I have left of that car is ONE picture of it in the driveway. My ex burned the box I had 99% of my old car pictures in when we were gettin a divorce. I only have a few pictures left of anything.

I wish I did. All I have left of that car is ONE picture of it in the driveway. My ex burned the box I had 99% of my old car pictures in when we were gettin a divorce. I only have a few pictures left of anything.

O god! At least she dident burn the car. Did you ever run the bigger crane 480/494 cam?

This IS TRUTH... They just flat ,work....

They do I've had the 480/494 in my well built 340 for 5 years... Still running strong It's been so long I can't remember the cam if its not crane it's a comp there super close in lift thoe cranes got a bit more duration.

Do you know where you had your idel set at when running that cam

-
Back