340 noise issue

-
Is mobil 1 synthetic? I had a catastrophy many years ago with synthetic oil melting the seals. Since it's not a new build I think I'll avoid the synthetics.
What is the deal with the Marvel oil?

Ya not good,but you need to adjust kick down rod and it needs a return spring.
Can you supply a picture of how that should look? I'm not disputing the adjustment, just curious why you think the rod should be adjusted. Not really happy with that whole carb aircleaner setup.

It like transmission oil, it should help if your problem is a gummed up lifter. it will aid in the cleaning and freeing up of stuck parts.

Is mobil 1 synthetic? I had a catastrophy many years ago with synthetic oil melting the seals. Since it's not a new build I think I'll avoid the synthetics.

Mobil-1 is excellent stuff used it for over 20+ years with zero bad results.

There is no way synthetic oil melted your seals , it must have been something else or the seals were so dried that they just fell apart

Marvel mystery oil is a cleaner that isn't as harsh as engine flush and when used correctly works great

Can you supply a picture of how that should look? I'm not disputing the adjustment, just curious why you think the rod should be adjusted. Not really happy with that whole carb aircleaner setup.

Not interested in supply an picture someone may.You do need that spring unless you have an Manuel valve body in your trany.

I don't know what the deal is with Marvel Mystery Oil. I do know it works miracles in breaking up varnish and gum that builds in the upper ends of the engine. For frozen engines, dump about a couple of ounces into each cylinder through the plug hole and let sit overnight. I'd think that a stuck lifter could be done the same way by dumping quart into the crankcase (assuming the engine is a quart low).

I've done the same thing with ATF. Pour into engine, start, allow to run until engine gets hot. This is not good soup to have in the engine, so drain and change when problem is remedied.

the whole drivetrain is a transplant, modification done by someone else 2 owners 20 years ago. I was asking because I don't know what it should look like, I just think that it doesn't look right the way it is. I'll just take some pictures at the next show/cruise. It has a modified AT, so I don't know if it has a manual valve body or not.

Mobil-1 is excellent stuff used it for over 20+ years with zero bad results.

There is no way synthetic oil melted your seals , it must have been something else or the seals were so dried that they just fell apart

Marvel mystery oil is a cleaner that isn't as harsh as engine flush and when used correctly works great
Sorry, they didn't melt, but disintegrated, (dried out i believe you said),yes, maybe there was more to it than just the synthetic, (it wasn't Mobil 1, but it was one of the first synthetics to come out in 1980), it was the Mitsubishi engine that was in the Arrow in the picture, the explanation given me was that the seals were too conditioned to the regular oil and when the synthetic was introduced the lack of real oil allowed them to dry out and break down. I'm sure that the mobil has changed the formula since then to solve that potential.

-
Back