340 ...Original pieces??

-

Divenut

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I pulled my oil pan, windage tray etc. and am wondering if the internals (Rods, Caps etc appear to be original. Note: This is the first Mopar SB I have ever owned/worked on, so forgive my ignorance. :sign3:

The block is stamped "9.27.71". Looks like a few caps are stamped "11.24.71"

IMG_4836.jpg

Others are stamped like this: (Is this normal?)

IMG_4838.jpg

IMG_4834.jpg

Also, is the crank forged or cast. My research uncovered varying answers. Some say Cast, other say the switch took place in April of 72....?

Thanks as always for helping a new guy learn about Mopars!

Pat

Cast or Forged? You need to look at the crank where the parting lines are. Take a picture and post it then we will be able to tell you.

Indeed. Forged as can be. Nice lookin crank too. I'd say that's all factory 340 stuff. Hard to tell about the pistons.

Hey, thanks for the feedback guys. Much appreciated. One of the PO's changed the cam, intake carb etc. and I was just wondering if any bottom end changes were made. The car pulls like heck and doesn't smoke or burn oil, and the plugs looked great when I pulled them. I'll eventually pull the motor and go through it to see if the heads, pistons etc may have been worked on. But until then, I'll enjoy it as is. :toothy8:

And again, thanks for the input.

Best Regards,
Pat

................The crank is stamped and the pads on the rods have been worked, its been apart and balanced/ rebuilt......kim.........

................The crank is stamped and the pads on the rods have been worked, its been apart and balanced/ rebuilt......kim.........

kim, thanks for the additional information. I thought the car runs better than it should being 40 years old. A rebuild at some point would explain it. Buying these old cars/engines can be like opening a box of "cracker jacks", you never know what's inside.

Be well,
Pat

-
Back