340 running temp

-

abodyfan

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
My 340 4-speed Demon runs anywhere from 190 to 215 degrees. I am using a champion 22in. 3 row core radiator with a 17in. 2 stage fan. The engine is 350 to 400 horse. I recently found out my stock temp gauge was 35-40 degrees off. Does this sound to hot? I don't want any problems at the nats.

the fan is this electric?If so i would look at the fan.move it away from rad and give it some kind of shroud.

so the 190' to 215' is the real temp? if so, perfect

the fan is this electric?If so i would look at the fan.move it away from rad...

is this the prefered method? all the fans come with kits that suck that puppy hard against the radiator. the cheep solution yes, not necessarily better. if so, how far?

Just got back from driving my car it was 95 degrees and it ran up to 230 degrees and the engine felt hot performance wise. I just pulled the timing back to 15 degrees and I am also using a 160 degree mr. gasket high flow thermostat. Antifreeze check at -35. When I posted the first reply I wasn't using a thermostat (been chasing issue). This winter I changed the intake to a edelobrock rpm because of an overported intake (blown on three cylinders). The new intake was ported to match the gaskets. The overheating started last year but has only gotten worse. I checked for blown headgasket everything checked out great. Here are some pictures.

Attachments

• 008.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 229
  • 007.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 248
  • 006.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 239
Pulling the timing back may make it worse...but worth a shot i guess.

Did you try putting the piece of paper in front of the radiator and seeing if its sucked on to the radiator with the fan running? My friend had a very similar problem with overheating in a 68 Chevelle and we found that the fan was running backwards. Switched the wiring around and problem solved. Worth checking if you haven't done so already.

ma mopar put 195 thermostats in all of her lil 340s .....190 to 215 darn near perfect i would say ..its better to run on the high side of 195 than the low side of 180

I might have found an underlying issue with my engine. I put timing back in to the engine. It was running cool and felt great. Then the engine started making a little noise so I nursed it home. I think I had a week oil pump and spun number 5 rod bearing. It did carry decent oil pressure until it started getting warm.

a squeekin noise is a sure sign of a rolled bering sorry to say

-
Back