340 Stamped Ramchargers 7-30-74

-

moparbros

Reaction score
I picked up a 71 challenger project from Michigan some while ago and while cleaning and poking around the block noticed that under the intake I found a stamping that says Ramchargers 7-30-74. The real bummer is the engine was a fresh build but the guy a purchased it from took the intake off for unknown reasons and mice built a nest in the valley and wiped out the cam and needles to say droppings are throughout the engine. so disassembly and cleaning are in order. You think there's any value to this thing because of the Ramcharger stamping?

I picked up a 71 challenger project from Michigan some while ago and while cleaning and poking around the block noticed that under the intake I found a stamping that says Ramchargers 7-30-74. The real bummer is the engine was a fresh build but the guy a purchased it from took the intake off for unknown reasons and mice built a nest in the valley and wiped out the cam and needles to say droppings are throughout the engine. so disassembly and cleaning are in order. You think there's any value to this thing because of the Ramcharger stamping?
Worthless , I'll come by and pick it up;-) . You should take some pictures of the parts as you take it apart , might be some real nice parts in there .

The Ramchargers ran some Super Stock cars in the '70's including a small block Duster. But I don't recall if it was a '73 340 or '74 360. That's just a longshot guess/coincidence because I don't know if there could be some connection from that.

Got it apart and starting cleaning. Doesn't appear to be anything special in there. Although I'm not really up on the whole really good stuff. Do know it's 60 over pistons seem to have shaved areas around where the wrist pins go in. Rods look like they have areas shaved off of them. Clever bearings looks like. Heads are 360 j heads with a lot of porting on both intake exhaust and bowl area. Pistons I believe are forger along with steel crank. I'll get some pics up tonight when I get home from work also. Thanks for the feed back.

Sounds like time was spent balancing . Sounds just like the 440 six pac I bought off a bankrupt race team .
Should be good waiting for pics

:worthles: I agree with RRR! I will be waiting! Sounds like a cool find!

Attachments

• asspen pits.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 374
Tried uploading photos. Does it take a while before they appear?

Attachments

• 20140929_194605.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 325
I will get that picture and more hopefully this evening. By any chance does anyone know what's with the letters where the oils pan studs are? Seems to be like abc..

The letter appear to be corresponding with each cylinder. Like next to one there will be a c next to another there's an a etc.

More pics.

Attachments

• 20140929_180417.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 209
  • 20140929_180304.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 230
  • 20140929_180236.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 215
  • 20140929_180345.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 245
  • 20140929_180548.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 231
Looking forward to getting it in the dart. Currently 318 all forged with a 250 shot of nos. That's the way I purchased it but going all natural. Or should I keep the nos?

Attachments

• 20140929_180641.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 206
  • IMAG0741.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 221
The pan rail stamping ABC was put there by the factory and corresponds with the cylinder bore after honing. The engine assembler would pick up a rod/piston from the A rack and stick it in bores mark A. etc.
The pistons are older forged TRWs.

How much older would you say. Also I have a 68 340 block and those stampings are not there. something they started later in time?

How much older would you say. Also I have a 68 340 block and those stampings are not there. something they started later in time?

Older is good. TRW forged in the USA. Today's equivalent is L2316F Speed Pro forged in India I think. Not sure when they started stamping letters. My 70 340 was stamped.

what about what appears to be areas that are shaved around different spots on the piston? balancing?

-
Back