340 Starter Choice

-

Road Grabber

Reaction score
I have a 1970 340 that eventually will be installed. Does anyone have a suggestion for a particular starter that is heavier duty? I have a starter in my Charger that cranks like a beast and I figure there must be a particular application that is better torque. I would prefer a stock appearance.

I have a starter that came with it. I could have it rebuilt or get a better one. Now is the time...

Thank you in advance

Get a starter off a mid ‘90s Dakota. They are a lot smaller than the original bulky starters.

you can use the longer barrel starter off the 75-78 big blocks if you want more torque. It may hit the left bell housing support.

Modern denso off magnum V8 or V6 runs circles around any of them old coffee grinders big block ones included. Plus its compact and light. And dirt cheap out of the junkyard. It goes all the way to 2002 on the ram vans. Those are the last factory useage of the magnum V8s

Hit the junkyard. Only things that really go bad on a denso are the solenoid contactor. Easy change. 3 screws and a cover. Junkyard one for $20

-
Back