340 stock cam

-

ibleedmoparts

Reaction score
Hello gang! I've got a 71' 340 I want to put a stock cam back in. It had a purple shaft, then I put an xe274h in there and just don't like it. I have less than 500 miles on the xe274h. Anyone know a good (cheap ) source for a stock cam? Thank u all!

Hello gang! I've got a 71' 340 I want to put a stock cam back in. It had a purple shaft, then I put an xe274h in there and just don't like it. I have less than 500 miles on the xe274h. Anyone know a good (cheap ) source for a stock cam? Thank u all!

any 340 or 360 4 bbl engine has the stock 340 auto cam if you can find a used engine or someone with a good used cam from one.

I once used one out of my brother's 78 Lil' Red Express....

I'll keep my eyes peeled. That thought never crossed my mind. The xe274h is just too noisy for me. I'll probably have it in the for sale section after the swap

You bet. Just keep in mind that it is a step up and it'll have a little more noticeable idle because of that 110 lobe separation.

That comp is bigger than a stock 340 cam. Stock 340 cams were in the 208/216 at .050 range and 429/443 lift

cams dont really make a car noisy.

headers (and header leaks) exhaust system etc. make noise. other things.

if your cam is actually making a loud noise then you have a major engine failure...

unless you talking about a solid cam with valve lash noise. but even then it's not terrible. but that's the lifters/pushrods/rockers making the noise not the cam itself.

I agree. I have a comp. cam magnum 280 (bigger than the xe), and I don't have any problems with noise in a 360. Cam is great

MP has a .455 lift 268/276 112 lobe separation. I used one in a 360. Idles as smooth as a 318 2bbl. Ran 13.30's with 3.23 gears.

Really?! All 4bbl 360s has a 340 cam?! I did not know that!

any factory small block with a 4 bbl came with the 268/276 .429"/.444" cam.

they even used that same cam in the 340 six-packs.

Sorry guys, 360 4 barrels could come with either the stock 360, 2 barrel, cam or the 340 cam. The TA cam was not the same as the 340 auto cam. It had the same lift and duration but was ground with a flatter angle on the cam and lifters.

The 340 six pack engine used the same 340 auto cam as all the rest. The 440 six pack engine used a low taper design that had the same specs as the "Road Runner" cam. Maybe that's what you're confusing it with, but the 340 engines after 68 all used the same cam you can still buy from Mopar Performance today. There was no difference whatsoever.

You may be right, It is just a historical oddity, at best. I don't think you could get a low taper cam or lifters if you wanted to. And if you could, why?

The 440 six pack had a low taper cam. I don't know if anybody actually sells a replacement or not. I think it had something to do with supposedly lowering friction or some such.

There have been several discussions on the forum about the XE cams (comp fast ramp cams) being noisy. Even bowtie boys are complaining. I have no major engine failure. The engine runs fantastic. But for me the noise is too much. And yes I am referring to lifter pushrod noise. Either way thank you all for the great discussion. I learn more every day!

340 Camshafts

1968 ~ 4-Speed {Advertised}
.445"/.455" Lift ~ 284*/292* Duration ~ 60* Overlap ~ 114* Centerline

1968 ~ 4-Speed {NHRA Specifications}
.464"/.468" Lift ~ 284*/292" Duration ~ 60* Overlap ~ 114* Centerline

1968 ~ 'Secret Grind for Automatic'
.444"/.456" ~ 276*/284* Duration ~ 52* Overlap ~ 112* Centerline

1969 thru 1973 ~ 'Basic 340'
.429"/.444" Lift ~ 268*/276* Duration ~ 44* Overlap ~ 114* Centerline

There have been several discussions on the forum about the XE cams (comp fast ramp cams) being noisy. Even bowtie boys are complaining. I have no major engine failure. The engine runs fantastic. But for me the noise is too much. And yes I am referring to lifter pushrod noise. Either way thank you all for the great discussion. I learn more every day!

i guess i wasnt clear enough. a different cam profile will make the car idle rough or idle smooth, changes the vacuum at idle.

pushrod lifter noise has nothing to do with changing the cam profile / cam lift by from .486 to .445.

if it was a solid lifter cam the lifter would sound exactly the same as a stock profile.

but this is a hydraulic cam. you shouldnt be getting any lifter/pushrod noise.

i hope that is clearer. different cams can make the idle sound different. solid cams have lifter / pushrod noise. if a hydraulic cam is making lifter / pushrod noise then something aint right. and a different cam profile wont make it right.

not trying to be rude, just telling you that hydraulic cams dont make noise unless something
is wrong.

solids are a little noisy, but not as bad as you are describing.

not trying to be rude, just telling you that hydraulic cams dont make noise unless something is wrong.

ehhhh......that's not true. By a long shot in fact. If the grind is aggressive enough, you can get all kinda valve train noise from the valves being slammed shut really quickly. A lot of these new fast rate cams are very hard on the valve train and can certainly make noise even with hydraulic lifters.

ehhhh......that's not true. By a long shot in fact. If the grind is aggressive enough, you can get all kinda valve train noise from the valves being slammed shut really quickly. A lot of these new fast rate cams are very hard on the valve train and can certainly make noise even with hydraulic lifters.

then he should just dump the cam if that's the case. it looks to be a very mild cam.

here's the cam card:

http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/cam-specs/Details.aspx?csid=628&sb=2

i guess if he's running 1.6's or 1.7's that makes it a much bigger cam, but we dont know anything about his rockers yet

ding ding ding ding: here are the cam install notes
2 [2] Requires machining on cylinder heads.
7 [7] Stock springs cannot be used.
23 [23] Includes special shafts & spacers.
24 [24] Special 10º 4 Groove Lock. Single Groove use part #612-16.
37 [37] Adjustable valve train required.

The aggressiveness I was talking about has nothing to do with the size of the cam. It's how the lobes are ground. It has to do with the actual rate of lift. How fast it opens and closes the valves. This is one reason you see me recommending a good older grind over some of the newer stuff, because if all someone wants is a daily driver, they might not be happy with a really modern grind.

The aggressiveness I was talking about has nothing to do with the size of the cam. It's how the lobes are ground. It has to do with the actual rate of lift. How fast it opens and closes the valves. This is one reason you see me recommending a good older grind over some of the newer stuff, because if all someone wants is a daily driver, they might not be happy with a really modern grind.

Hit the nail on the head Rusty! While the xe274h is a great cam the noise it produces takes away the "driver factor" for me. Now the notes that were pointed out by moparlover...these are all "recommended". When I bought the cam I talked on the phone with the tech about all of this. I addresed the adjustable rockers and he said I would have no problem with stock components. And with that being said I only installed the XE cam to replace the 292/508 purple shaft that was in place to enhance my driveability. If I had money to spend on adj rockers, springs, etc and so forth I'm sure this is a good camshaft. But an older grind Is more my speed. I appreciate all of the input and you are a book of knowledge rusty. I am going to make you one of my go to resources when it comes to this kind of stuff.

-
Back