340 Stroker (372) carb recommendation

-

Ben440ny

Reaction score
Hello All,

Read a ton of threads on the subject but would still appreciate some recommendations for my specific application:

1972 Dart Swinger with full interior
340 with SCAT cast crank stroker kit. 372 CI.
LD340 Intake
Cam: MOPAR P4452761AE purple shaft Mopar Performance P4452761AE Mopar Performance Purple Camshaft Kits | Summit Racing (Advertised Duration 268/272, Lift .450/.455)
1968 X heads port and polished and milled .040" from a different application (.025" gasket)
904 with TCI 129000 kit. Hughes 27-25 2500 stall converter.
8 3/4 with 3.23 gears.

I am currently using an older 600 CFM Holley Street Warrior that came off a 318 duster we bought and considering an upgrade to improve my ET but not sure my combination warrants it. At the very least, this carb could use a rebuild. Holley says my 600 should be plenty.

The plan is mostly street driving with the occasional trip to the drag strip. Current best 1/8 mile ET on street tires was 8.87 @ 78.3 mph. In a perfect world, I'd like to break into the 12's when they reopen the quarter mile near me. Also hunting for a pair of cheap wheels with slicks that will fit.

If I do replace the carb, I'm more experienced with Holleys but open to recommendations. Looking for something with vacuum secondaries and electric choke. The Street avenger 670 has caught my eye. What do folks think?

Thanks all,
Ben

3 recommendations, depending on your priorities.
If ET is your main concern, 750 DP all day long.
If you want a Holley with vacuum secondaries, then a Holley 780.
Best of both worlds, street and strip; Thermoquad.

All great options. Honorable mention goes to an Edelbrock AVS2 800 manual choke. Go through it and check the OOB float heights and air door tension. Install the dual feed line kit with a pressure gauge and regulate it to 6-1/2 pounds if need be. Jetting out of the box should be very close to spot on.

No argument there! A properly tuned 3310 would be as good as anything else on that, too. For a 367 with ported X heads and LD340 with your preference for an electric choke, vacuum secondary Holley, any Holley between 750 and 830 CFM is going to be in the sweet spot. With 3.23 gears and the tight converter, a 750 to 780 looks good.

Appreciating the feedback everyone. Holley's help line didn't seem to care about anything besides the overall cubes and max RPM. Seems I can go higher to achieve better ET but still have good street manners.

my standard recommendation, Holley 3310.

I agree. A very flexible carb for any street car with a medium size to large motor.

And if you want to run an electric choke with that carb, Holley makes a choke kit for it.

Also, for any vacuum secondary Holley, I'd play with the secondary springs. Holley makes a spring kit with a variety of springs of different tensions. My (limited) experience is that with any kind of hotter-than-stock cam, the secondary spring that comes with the carb is too stiff to let the secondaries fully open, or to open soon enough. Too light a spring you'll get a bog, too heavy you'll lose power.

All great options. Honorable mention goes to an Edelbrock AVS2 800 manual choke. Go through it and check the OOB float heights and air door tension. Install the dual feed line kit with a pressure gauge and regulate it to 6-1/2 pounds if need be. Jetting out of the box should be very close to spot on.
Agree with your points on this carb, I am very happy with mine. On the dual feed kit for this specific application, I was told by Edelbrock tech it was for asthetics and not a benefit to performance. I cannot confirm nor deny as I do not have one, nor experience with one. I am considering trying one.

Last edited:
I have to chime in with a Quick Fuel 750 mechanical secondary. Admittedly not cheap, but very tunable. JMO.

20220215_175210_resized_1.jpg

Oldkimmer approves of it, so I'm golden. Anything positive from him is the positive direction. I'd love to visit his property sometime.

-
Back