340 swap

-

ant.slant6

B5BlueDemon
Reaction score
So i have a 71' demon, it originally had a /6 until i blew it out. :eek:ops:
Anyways, i bought a 340 thats pretty brand new its been rebuilt from the ground up. i have also bought a K frame and a 4speed to go along with it. I think the 833 is not for an A-body tho. would this still fit my car? and im pretty much stuck at this point not knowing if i have to swap out my rear end and drive shaft. Can someone pls point me in the right direction. i'll post some pics of the tranny as soon as i get home from work.:-k thanks

:newb:

The K frame will take care of the engine with a set of engine mounts. The transmission may be another story.

If the transmission isn't for an A-body, you'll run into a few problems depending on what its for. The tailshaft will be too long, which will mean you'll have to have your driveshaft shortened significantly. If your transmission came with any linkage, the shift rods may be the only parts that will work (and maybe not even those if its a dual shift pad transmission). The Z bar and clutch linkage won't be the right length. And, the shifter location won't be in the right spot. It might be close enough to use, but it won't be in the standard spot, so you may have to modify the 4 speed hump location to make it work.

And, since your car was a /6, I'm going to guess it has a 7 1/4 rear end. It might last a little while if you really baby it, but as soon as you put your foot into that 340 and 4 speed you'll blow it up. So, you'll need to swap the rear end too, which will also mean shortening the drivshaft.

Short story is, if its not an a body 833, you CAN make it work, but its probably more worthwhile to sell the one you have and get an A body 833. There is a thread on here somewhere about using a long tailshaft 833 OD. It can be done, but there's definitely some things to address, the shifter location being the biggest.

I recommend that you check out, "Chrysler Performance Upgrades"
(S-A Design) [Paperback]
By Frank Adkins
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Chrysler-Performance-Upgrades-S--Design/dp/1884089402/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1303829730&sr=1-3"]Amazon.com: Chrysler Performance Upgrades (S-A Design) (9781884089404): Frank Adkins: Books[/ame]

It includes a ton of information on engine swaps and related upgrades.

-
Back