340 ta block whats it worth

-

moparfan68

Reaction score
im going to go look at a supossed 340 ta block in a few days its been bored 40 over and suppossedly real clean its just a block anybody know how many were made and what it might be worth ? thanks

It's worth whatever someone is willing to pay.

It is worth far more to someone restoring a T/A.

It isn't worth any more that a standard 340 block for someone building a HotRod.

Don't pay a premium for it if you are going to use it in a non-T/A

Snatch it up if the deal is good then re-sell it.

Most of these "So Called" T/A blocks were never in a T/A. Usually it will be some dude that thinks 340s only came in T/As so his old engine must be out of one of those.

werent those 4 bolt caps? are the lifter bores offset like the rockers or do they use a regular 340 cam? What is the difference?

werent those 4 bolt caps? are the lifter bores offset like the rockers or do they use a regular 340 cam? What is the difference?

Extra thick webbing but had 2 bolt mains. Lifter bores were just like a regular 340. Just the rockers and pushrod holes were offset so you could port out the "pinch" in the intake. Heads were remachined 360 "915" heads. I believe the cam was a regular hydraulic 340 hi-po cam but had adjustable rockers. Block has 340TA cast into the side and, the most obvious, OEM application was in T/A Challengers and AAR Barracudas with a 6 pack set-up.

is it a TA casting or is the casting a 340-6

The latter is not a ta block.

Decent ta blocks are anywhere from 1500-3000. Yours being the lower end more likely because of the bore.

The TA and AAR guys are the ones that are after them. If it is a TA block, get the VIN and let Barry Washington know. He may have a lead on the original car.

thanks for the responces guys this block is supose to have theta in casting on side of block but ile have to see it to believe it any body know roughly how many were made.

whos barry washington and how would i go about getting in touch with him.

Not sure how many were made but at least roughly 5,000 plus, just to cover T/A & AAR vehicle production & they were probably available as service parts too. Did Direct Connection offer them?

If it matches a living TA/AAR the bore won't be an issue. You sleeve the crap out of it, all 8 if need be.

Put sleeves in it 4 bolt main caps, forged crank, forged h-beams rods, forged pistons with gapless piston rings all bolted together using the strongest arp bolts. I'd also suggest using SFI approved balancer and flexplate or flywheel.

i have a 340 ta engine in the 72 cuda... come from a wrecked aar early on in life

If it matches a living TA/AAR the bore won't be an issue. You sleeve the crap out of it, all 8 if need be.

This is what I was thinking. If the matching car is out there and the owner wants to make it "right" then they`ll do whatever it takes to make it happen. Price is usually commensurate with need in cases like this. I would definitely see if the car that the block came from is still out there.

It's just another 340 block to the average guy but to an owner of a t/a or aar it could be priceless,check it out real good make sure its a real one and you can name your price with that crowd..

yeah if the car that this engine is from is still alive and out there and i can locate then owner ide like to see them reunited ile go look at it in a few days ile let you guys know if its a ta block or a regular 340 block.

What's wrong with the bore? I'd bore it 40 more and not even look back. Most of them 340s would go 1/8" over and then some. How many of yall have ever sonic checked blocks and run a boring bar? I have. I'm here to tell you, the 340 and 71-73 360 are some THICK blocks.

is it a TA casting or is the casting a 340-6

The latter is not a ta block.

Decent ta blocks are anywhere from 1500-3000. Yours being the lower end more likely because of the bore.

The TA and AAR guys are the ones that are after them. If it is a TA block, get the VIN and let Barry Washington know. He may have a lead on the original car.
for that kinda scratch I'd go aftermarket. why fornicate around with 40 year old 40 over block.

yeah if the car that this engine is from is still alive and out there and i can locate then owner ide like to see them reunited ile go look at it in a few days ile let you guys know if its a ta block or a regular 340 block.
yah reunite them eh? lmfao. If the owner of the matching car wants it..
I'd charge him triple what I paid. I did that with a 67 440, paid 1k for it,
beat all to hell, sold it to the owner of the car it belonged too for 3k.
he wants it that bad.. pay big for it.

yah reunite them eh? lmfao. If the owner of the matching car wants it..
I'd charge him triple what I paid. I did that with a 67 440, paid 1k for it,
beat all to hell, sold it to the owner of the car it belonged too for 3k.
he wants it that bad.. pay big for it.

Whey does the term pimp enter my mind?

-
Back