340 tunnel ram

-
Running a tunnel ram on the street for anything other than looks is a waste of time.

With that said.... Welcome! Nice to have you here!

Back to your post..... If you want the look, we do have people here running them. Give them time to reply and they should be able to point you in the right direction.

If you want to run one for power.... You will be better off with a conventional single 4 bbl set up.

ever ran one?

With respect to everyone's idea's..... If a tunnel ram were better, why doesn't everyone have one?

cause people are scared of them... and really dont understand them.

1. A single carb set up on duel or single plane manifold is simply better on a street car.

I've tested both back to back and thats wrong.

I always thought that a TR was for hi rpm operation and that doesn't happen on the street. Even most race cars don't have enough motor to sustain one (apparently) or they would have them. That's why Pro Stockers have them as did the old Modified Production cars and Gassers. The 70's Pro Stock guys used to reduce the size of the plenum, cuz it was too big even for them. Fuel atomization at low speed is poor because of the large internal volume.
Also, I grew up believing you should be able to back up the equipment you're running. I yam an oll drag racer...
Depends onthe TR - I run an eddy STREET Ram - it has a small plenum, and small runners, yes you can get into some large plenum TR's that will need to spin at 5 grand to even start making power... but they are all not the same.

I think you nailed it: It LOOKS COOL! Personal preference. If I had a TR, I would expect that SOB to run like a SOB! If you believe Billy Crystal--- "It's better to look mavaless than to feel (run) mavaless", then, go for it! (Cuz with that big manifold and all those barrels opening, it ain't gonna run like a four barrel. -low end torque-street usable.)

my holley 390's are vac sec - thats 780 cfm total, when I open it up the primaries open giving the same CFM a 780 holley single 4 would open up to....
the runners are a nice path to the heads, no twisting and turning like a conventional intake - look at a dual plane, it has to make a sharp turn as it enters the intake, another few turns to get to the head, fuel suspended in air does not like to turn, hence the efficiency of the TR

Like DJVCUDA said, the plenum size matters when it comes to streetability with tunnel rams. Smaller runners and Plenums are better. The Edelbrock STREET Tunnelram which are not made anymore, are the best streetable tunnelram for a small block Mopar. I got lucky and grabbbed one off of E bay last year.
Likewise the Weiand Tunnel Ram which dominated all other single, dual plane and even other tunnel rams in a manifold shootout in one of the car mags is the Best tunnel ram for a big block Mopar. Notice how similiar they look plenum and runner wise.
One Thing I've noticed over the years of seeing tunnel rams run is they seem to like Holley carbs better than Carters. Not saying Carters are bad or won't work, but just that you may be able to get a little bit more fine tuning and HP out of holley carbs.
Tunnel Rams got a bad rep from all the posers throwing them on stock motors, with huge carbs and or miss matched parts.
Like with any motor, if you take the time to match your carbs, intake rpm range to the cam rpm range, converter and gears you will have a good running, reliable tunnel rammed motor.

I was able to test my car at the track last night.

Previous setup on 440:
Edelbrock dual plane dual quad intake ch28 with Edelbrock 600's. ET Street's.
13.48 @ 102.7

Changes:
Weiand tunnel ram, rejetting, and slippery street radials.
13.02 @ 106.5

3.23's and a slow shifting tranny and crappy 60ft times.

Yep, just for looks....

I ran a 340 with a tunnel ram in my 68 Dart back in the 80's and I drove it daily and street raced it all the time. They do lack a little in the low end but I think that is all relevant on what you have in the engine. Most of them are designed for the 3000-8500 RPM range which is why they just keep pulling. When I was racing it I shifted at 6800 or 7200 depending on what tires I had on it and the weather, and even at those RPM's it wanted to keep going.

If you never ran dual carbs before it can take a bit to get the hang of tuning them but it isn't as hard as people think. I ended up running a pair of 600 Holleys that I modified quite a bit, converted to center pivot bowls, extra metering plates, jetting, choke horns removed, and a lot of internal modifications. There is a lot better carbs out there today that will be a lot better for street use and still perform great.

One tip I would suggest is keep notes of your adjustments, even the smallest turn of the screw, this may sound strange to a lot of people but if you never messed with multiple carbs before, this will reduce the frustration of keeping both carbs tuned the same while you are getting the hang of it.

dart2.jpg

dart.jpg

The reason tunnel rams have a bad rep is that they were very popular at one time, and on PARTICULAR motors they run like crazy. Other motors actually suffered from them. I blame this all on Car Craft magazine. Coming from the Pontiac camp many years ago, I can tell you that a tunnel ram on a hard pulling GTO 400 will cause it to turn into a slug. Progressive Tri-power was a better system than dual 4s for those motors.

I'm dealing on two different manifolds now.
Is there a big difference between the Eddy TR5
and theWeiand 5995 that might sway my
choice between the two.
It will be run on a 360 with ported heads mostly street driven.

weiand 5995.jpg

edelbrock tr5-10.jpg

Have you tried calling or emailing Edelbrock? They were able to get me the rpm range of a LD4B that I had.

any body run an old eddy street tunnel ram on a smallblock?i was wondering if this can be a streetable set up? 70 dart ,10:1 340,j heads ,roller rockers,crower beast cam,2200 stall,390 gears,hooker headers.this is my current combo.i want to go to a more aggresive cam and possibly run the tunnel ram,however ive never used on before and need advice on how to set it up. thanks -wade

Try it you will like it the trick is in the tuning {wich isn't all the black magic it's made out to be} The tuning once you understand what your engine likes is realy cool you can experiment with all kinds of linkage tricks, secondary rates.spilt jetting and so on to realy hone in on what your engine is after~ with a cam that makes good vacume and or decent compression the throttle response is lightning fast and like was said they tend to keep pulling and pulling.... also tuned properly with a progrssive linkage i was able to get the same milage as my previous single set up ~
For those who have not run one and go off hearsay info :thebirdm:

choice between the two.

I ran the Weiand on my Dart, I think it has less plentum which is better if you are running it on the street. The other advantage is the gaskets that go between the top and bottom are the same as a Dominater so they are readily available instead of having to order one and having to wait for it.

choice between the two.
im running the street ram from edelbrock,same as djv cuda.it has less plennum volume than either of the ones you posted pics of.i highly reccomed it if you can find one

I have the eddy street TR on my 68 fish, 340, 4 spd, 4:56, 11:1, ported T/A heads, hughes 245,250 @ 050, 560/575 lift, I bought it at spring or fall fling about 4 yrs ago. It had just come off someones car and the carbs had been setup. The inside of the intake has been worked and i finished smoothing it out. It ran very well. As well as the carter 750/strip dominator combo i had on it.

I wanna see pictures of your guys' cars with these tunnel rams! I think they look awesome!

dont have to many pics of it

tunel021.jpg

meck005.jpg

tr015.jpg

this setup was fast enough and worked good enough for me to stop caring about all the retards saying they are not streetable without trying

Old thread but anyone else have more input and how hard is it to put the injection unit on here.

Heres my beater with 2 600's, would probably run better with 2 390's.

IMGA1100.jpg

The 600's are really for this setup later down the road.

IMGA0967.jpg
IMGA0971.jpg

hows the response on that setup?i have a weiand intake as well,but ended up running the eddy.the weiand looks like it has more plenum volume and i was worried low end would be "soft"

mygwenevere66 very interested in your set-up as I am planning to run an eddy T-ram on my 9.4 comp 360 with RHS/IMM heads and a comp roller with .544 lift and 236@.050,probably a 2800 -3000 stall and 3.55ish rear,don't know a whole lot about them but would like to run one for 70's street machine(77 roadrunner)any advice appreciated.

dvjcuda what is your injection set-up was it hard to install or trouble shoot,I'm guessing there was something more to it then bolt and go.

DSC_8651.jpg

it needs a new fuel system and the wiring needs direct power to the battery, bit besides syncing the TB's it worked as described. I get more power, better mileage, and no bogs.

it starts up without touching the pedal.

mygwenevere66 very interested in your set-up as I am planning to run an eddy T-ram on my 9.4 comp 360 with RHS/IMM heads and a comp roller with .544 lift and 236@.050,probably a 2800 -3000 stall and 3.55ish rear,don't know a whole lot about them but would like to run one for 70's street machine(77 roadrunner)any advice appreciated.
see your pm.

cjh cool pic any details?mygwenevere got it sent one back,thanks.

-
Back