340 w/360 heads, 6 pack & air cleaner help

-

F&J

Reaction score
I have a 69 Dart with the wrong 340. It has a 73 340, but the heads say 360 inside the valve covers.

-what else should I look for on the heads to know how good?..or bad?

I am putting on a 6 pack with a shortened-down intake so I have room for air cleaners with the stock GTS hood.

24n1xmh.jpg

- Where can I get individual ribbed air cleaners like one member had in NYC? They were on ebay a year ago, and I can't find the maker now.

- The upright stock thermostat gooseneck won't work. Is there an angled one that looks like a chevy type?

Lastly, what type of push on oil caps do I need for these early Offy covers? and I need 2, but one hopefully with a place for a PCV hose fitting??

Thanks for any help.

The stovepipe that I can see on the one valve covers looks like the same as on early 273 both Commando and non-Command motors. You should be to use the chrome ones like on the Commando 273/235 valve covers.

The stovepipe that I can see on the one valve covers looks like the same as on early 273 both Commando and non-Command motors. You should be to use the chrome ones like on the Commando 273/235 valve covers.

These covers are OLD, and there is no PCV, so maybe they were designed for 273s when the 273 first came out. Thanks for the info.

Aftermarket mechanical linkage six pack carbs have the fuel inlet on the opposite side as the stock vacuum secondary carbs.

A 73 340 would have the same heads used on a 360, and should have AAWJ 360 cast into them.

Are those chevy carbs on there? Fuel line is on the wrong side I believe for mopar.

These were ID'ed as older "direct connection" over the counter carbs for "off road use". They were auctioned as Tripower Vettes, but some onlooker knew the numbers and posted the info on what they really were. They are mechanical outboard carbs, not vacuum controlled.

Aftermarket mechanical linkage six pack carbs have the fuel inlet on the opposite side as the stock vacuum secondary carbs.

A 73 340 would have the same heads used on a 360, and should have AAWJ 360 cast into them.

Where would I see the AAWJ? The 360 is all by itself from what I can see.

There is a casting number also, I may be able to see the whole number

Get the casting number, and that will tell us more. But they are all about the same. I would guess that since you say it is a 73 340 it is probably a cast crank, low compression, 1.88/1.60 valve setup. That's the way a 73 engine would come from the factory. Who knows what's happened to it in 35 years, though?

Ok... here's a few thoughts.

DON'T cut down your intake! I forget who did it, but they reported that torque fell off big time. It will all fit under your hood without hacking, provided you use the stock air cleaner. As for those ribbed air cleaners, forget them unless you want a hole in your hood.
Barracuda163-vi.jpg

I had lusted over these for awhile until I bought them and test-fitted:

Barracuda416-vi.jpg

Forget it. Unless you run a scoop. I even swapped on a set of 1 1/2" filter elements to drop them down. Still no good....

As for those carbs, they're from a Chevy. Period. My suggestion is to just run the stock air cleaner with whatever carbs you decide on and enjoy it.

SANY0017-vi.jpg

But yeah, six barrels ROCK!

The heads are likely correct for a 73 340. They should be 587 castings and will have 360 cast in the runners.

Thanks to all who replied.

I will get what head numbers I can see.

John; thanks for the reply. I already cut the risers, but did so in a way that they can be re-used with long studs.

Can you post any info on the air cleaners you have? I found them on ebay when you showed them a long time ago, but I can't find them now.

Can anyone tell me about an angled water thremostat gooseneck??? The local parts place won't take the time to open a bunch of boxes on their shelf. If not aftermarket, a different brand of car?

I did modify a Mr gasket Chevy thremostat housing to work.

I think Obrien Truckers might have the finned air cleaners I need.
Some web searching on the carb to find the proper baseline main jets, I found the same info on the carbs. They are definately Mopar high performance replacements for the stock vacuum setup from over the counter=offroad use.

Car is running rich at all rpms, so I am trying jets, etc.

Those are definately NOT Corvette tri-power carbs. The fuel inlet is on the wrong side for the Vette.
I dunno if they could be another GM carb style.
Looks neat by the way! Yours too John.

George

The valve covers are like the ones I have on my engine. Look for a pre 65 / 6 or V8 for a factory PCV valve and oil filler/breather. Or use the mr gasket chrome push on oil/breather you can buy from your f.l.a.p.s. and order a chrome pcv from year one or the like for a HEMI.

Like crackedback says if it has the 73 heads they will be 587 castings. They used that same head on the 360 as well. AS for the carbs, well i have a matching set off a 1961 ford 406 fe series engine that favor those holleys you have. I might run them on the dart when i get that far along. They are manual as well and not vacuum.
Matt

with more searches,These carbs are likely too big for a 340.

Here is a quote from a tripower site about the 4782 center & 4783 outboard carbs:

" As Tom Vaught from Ford Motor Company indicates, these were developed specifically for Ford for the 429 6V intake as well as the BOSS429. They were also used on the Ford 366 Engine Program (CLeveland 351C 6V), but Holley had to sleeve them to reduce the airflow to make them work on the Cleveland motor. When the program was cancelled for the Ford 366 Nascar Motor and the 429 and BOSS429 6V programs, Ford was no longer interested in these carburetors. Holley asked the other manufacturers whether they were interested in these carbs and Mopar immediately answered up, so Holley ended up producing this list series for Mopar. After further changes, the carbs were converted to mechanical with full metering blocks, accelerator pumps and progressive linkage. The carbs were offered as a performance option replacement for stock Holley Mopar SixPac vacuum secondary 3x2 carbs with a special Edelbrock produced set of progressive linkage and fuel log."

-
Back