340 who's balancer?

-

bones427

Reaction score
building a +030 340 11.1 rpm heads, need a balancer whats everyone using? anyone try the fluidampers on ebay? Ideas?

Personally I've never cared for the Fluidamper. The conventional type has and continues to work well for many companies. I've been using the SFI neutral balanced balancer/damper from Pioneer #872037 on my internally balanced 360's for years. No problems and is a quality, reasonably priced race unit.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pio-872037

Disregard the pic Summit has. It's generic and the Pioneer looks nothing like it.

Attachments

• 872037.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 266
ATI with a Chev bolt pattern on the front to give me more options as far as accessory drives , crank trigger etc.

Alot of balancers do not fit correct and will end up either hitting the front cover at the timing marks before it is seated or they are too think and you need to space your accessories. I have used the Rattler before and it fit perfect.

Alot of balancers do not fit correct and will end up either hitting the front cover at the timing marks before it is seated or they are too think and you need to space your accessories. I have used the Rattler before and it fit perfect.

X2

I have the TCI rattler and it fits the 1970-up timing cover perfect. The factory crank pulley also lined up nicely as well. I'm happy with it. :)

I guess I didn't worry about the timing cover. :D

I did have an ATI on the 340 that was in the car before and the pulleys did not line up well. I had to move the alternator and water pump pulleys out around .125 if I recall.

Attachments

• cooling system 002.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 230
Personally I've never cared for the Fluidamper. The conventional type has and continues to work well for many companies. I've been using the SFI neutral balanced balancer/damper from Pioneer #872037 on my internally balanced 360's for years. No problems and is a quality, reasonably priced race unit.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pio-872037

Disregard the pic Summit has. It's generic and the Pioneer looks nothing like it.

I recently bought this one that Myron suggested. I don't know him personally but he is a successful racer and I regard his opinion well. He always suggests the same part in just about every 'which balancer" thread (almost verbatim) so I thought I'd give it a try. If it works for him, will probably be OK for me.

Summit currently lists it for $179. Its on back order right now, should be in this week. CNC Motorsports lists it for $154 + $14.95 shipping. I had an order with Summit that I got a discount on and they were willing to match the price otherwise I would have ordered it from CNC. Don't know whether they had it in stock or not. I wasn't in a hurry to get it.

I also looked at ATI which is another highly suggested brand. Its also about double the price of the Pioneer.

I guess I didn't worry about the timing cover. :D

I did have an ATI on the 340 that was in the car before and the pulleys did not line up well. I had to move the alternator and water pump pulleys out around .125 if I recall.

Yeah I think you got enough going on than to worry about a stinkin balancer!! Lol :D

-
Back