340 with no stamped numbers on it

-

trudysduster

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a 69 340 with no numbers stamped in the block. why. is this a warranty block or something. on one side it has the date code of 3-16-69. the other side it has 2780930-340-8 on the left side. I cannot find a number on the pad above the pan. I have a guy wanting to trade me some stuff for it and I would like to let him know what it is. It is a rotating short block. Thanks,Bill

usually they had a tag on the front of block pass side, it may be gone but of you see a rivet or small hole it could be.

didn't see no tag and didn't look for a hole. I will though. would that be a warranty block. would they not have stamped the vin # on it of the car they put it in. It was in a 4 speed car I think because it has a pilot bearing in it.

I have a 75 360 w no vin on it. Came out of 74 360 cuda. was told it is a warranty block. I have not looked for the rivet hole but now I will.

The dealer mechanic should stamp it in but that didn't happen too often from what I have seen and heard. Could just be a over the counter block that someone purchased to install themself.

Sell it for what it is, a 69 340 block with no numbers! Doubt anybody filed them off both places, but no telling why it dont have them. Not every block was stamped, this one may have missed the memo!! Still a good block worth considerable $$$!

have a friend who is wanting to trade some interior work for it and put it in a 69 Dart

Well what you know about it is what there is. Weird that the assembly information stamp on the left front is not there. Even as a no VIN stamp warranty block that would still be there.

What does he want to know about it anyway? You have already ID'ed it as 340 built after March 16th. It is most probable it was used in a 69 car as there are 4.5 months until the 70 production year start.

He has not asked anything about it yet. I just thought I would tell him everything I could about it. vin # stuff like that. I can tell him the date code and what I know and it will probably not make any difference to him anyway. He just wanted a 69 to go in his 69 GTS. will work out good for both of us. If it doesn't, I will sell it.

It's amazing what a digital camera will pick up that you can't see with your eyes. Take a pic of the areas that are normally stamped and maybe you'll find something.....

This is very true sometimes the stamping are real light and don't get much bite.

It's amazing what a digital camera will pick up that you can't see with your eyes. Take a pic of the areas that are normally stamped and maybe you'll find something.....

I have a 69 340 also and as it is now I can just barely make out a few of the vin number digits. If I hit it with sandpaper I bet I could make the rest of the numbers go away without too much effort.

Not sure if that makes it more valuable or less. The car it came out of is long gone.

I thought I would re-stamp to the vin number on my 64 dart just for fun.

Heck the guy I bought the car from said the 65 commando motor I pulled out of it was the original numbers matching motor to it. :) He also said the 67 style commando valve covers were original. He called me a few choice words when I told him he was mistaken.

This is very true sometimes the stamping are real light and don't get much bite.

I have a 69 340 with no numbers stamped in the block. why. is this a warranty block or something. on one side it has the date code of 3-16-69. the other side it has 2780930-340-8 on the left side. I cannot find a number on the pad above the pan. I have a guy wanting to trade me some stuff for it and I would like to let him know what it is. It is a rotating short block. Thanks,Bill

It's a 69, 340. Without any other numbers, that's all you got. Even if it did have all the numbers on it, all 69, 340s were the same anyway. It would have came out of a Dart or Barracuda.

-
Back