340 wont idle

-

akehurst89

Reaction score
I have a 340 that wont idle. It will idle about 30secs and die. I replaced the carb and it hasnt made a difference. Any suggestions on what it could be?

The timing is good, replaced the distributor, plugs, wires, but havnt dot a fuel filter or pump yet. No vacuum leaks I can find. Is there anyway to check the fuel delivery side of it?

The timing is good, replaced the distributor, plugs, wires, but havnt dot a fuel filter or pump yet. No vacuum leaks I can find. Is there anyway to check the fuel delivery side of it?

You say the timing is good.......So what is the timing set at? Initial & All in without Vac hooked up at what RPM?

Timing is good is a very general statement.

What's the timing at idle. If you set it by the book, that's a problem.

Be quiet Rob. The timing is good.

1st you have to find out what is happening when it dies. Does it lose spark or fuel? Chances are timing isn't goin to change after 30 seconds & cause it to stall. How well does it run at idle before it dies? You're gonna have to do some diagnosis or at least the prelimenary checks 1st before we can be of much help.

1st you have to find out what is happening when it dies. Does it lose spark or fuel? Chances are timing isn't goin to change after 30 seconds & cause it to stall. How well does it run at idle before it dies? You're gonna have to do some diagnosis or at least the prelimenary checks 1st before we can be of much help.

No timing won't change but the cylinders can start puddling fuel that they can't burn and it will die at idle if the initial timing is not where the motor likes it.

30 seconds is plenty of time for all this to take place.

What happened just before you problem started.......Such as "its been setting for 5 years and i put fresh gas in it and started it! orrrrr " I replace the rubber vent hose for the gas tank and........

Need more info.

-
Back