340 x heads hi po manifolds install question.

-

J.B.

Reaction score
1971 Dodge Demon 340 with x heads and T/A 340 hi performance exhaust manifolds. Can these manifolds install after engine drop in?

You might have to futz around with it a bit, but yeah, they can go in after the engine is in. Leave it loose so you can shift things around to get the manifolds to clear the exhaust studs. Easier if you have manual steering, but still doable.

Drain coolant/i Slotted the one end of the studs with a dremel so you can screw them in/installed them last (the front one by the alternator was tight) (LONG) with teflon pipe sealant/some say use exhaust gaskets / my flanges were flat/driverside I needed to wiggle The steering-coupler its a rectangle but it dropped right in after that

Drain coolant/i Slotted the one end of the studs with a dremel so you can screw them in/installed them last (the front one by the alternator was tight) (LONG) with teflon pipe sealant/some say use exhaust gaskets / my flanges were flat/driverside I needed to wiggle The steering-coupler its a rectangle but it dropped right in after that
Im getting ready to drop block in, its notnin yet wanted to know if i will have clearance issues with motor dropped then install manifolds

Big block factory HP manifolds have no gaskets as assembled originally. Are small blocks the same?

Big block factory HP manifolds have no gaskets as assembled originally. Are small blocks the same?
Correct. They have the tin heat shield on the driver's side, but no gaskets per se.
That's why I said to leave the engine loose- you may (will) have to shift it from side to side or jack up one side or the other to get the manifolds in. I didn't say it was the easiest way or my preferred way, just that it was doable. I can do it even in an early A, and the later ones are a bit easier.

Done it many times, jack motor up a bit. Be careful of distributor cap possibly hitting firewall or wiper motor. Also be careful of fan hitting fan shroud. Done it with and without power steering. Due to the shape of the exhaust port. I use “Flatout Gaskets” graphite manifold gaskets. They seal very well and I have been able to reuse them multiple times with no issues.

-
Back