360,340 or 5.7 Hemi?

-

LS-300

Reaction score
I would like some input and info. I have a 68 Barracuda notchback with no engine. I have picked up a newer K-member from a 73 Dart and plan on using it. It is currenly set up for a manual trany and I plan on keeping that. The question is since I need an engine should I use the 360 I have (after rebuilding it) and should I use a single 4 or a six pack set-up on it? OR should I get a 340 and go with a six pack.
OR get crazy and get a newer 5.7l Hemi and drop it in? If I go with the Hemi how much problems am I looking at to get it in? Can I still use the K-member or will I be required to change that? I know I'll have to change wireing but that isn't a big deal. What possible issues will I need to address??????
I'm leaning toword an "old school" set-up and using a 340 or 360 six pack but would like others input. Thanks

I'm partial to 340's but if you have the finances and know how, I think a 5.7 hemi would be an eye opener. It's your car really, you will decide what is best for you. Just post lots of pics so we can follow along.

I would use the 360 you have. A 340 won't give you much (if anything) over the 360 except the ability to say "Yes it is a 340".

Single 4 vs. Six-Pack......

The single 4 (tuned correctly) will give solid, trouble free performance and deliver the same power as a Six-pack.

The Six-Pack has a WOW! factor that can't be matched by anything short of a Cross Ram. You will have to spend a bit more time tuning and is 4x the cost.

A 5.7 Hemi requires SIGNIFICANT work and extra cost. Do a search, several members have or are doing the 5.7 Hemi swap.

If it was me... I'd use the 360 and stroke it (408),plenty of power and not too expensive.I'd go with the six pack to add the cool factor.But thats just me.

I've been leaning toward a 360 with the six pack as I don't mind taking the time to set them up and they do have that wow factor. My son who is also in on this project was wondering about the Hemi because well it's a Hemi!! I thought that if it wasn't too much trouble the Hemi would be cool. I was concerned that it would take way too much work and $$$ to be worth it.

I've been leaning toward a 360 with the six pack as I don't mind taking the time to set them up and they do have that wow factor. My son who is also in on this project was wondering about the Hemi because well it's a Hemi!! I thought that if it wasn't too much trouble the Hemi would be cool. I was concerned that it would take way too much work and $$$ to be worth it.

If you are interested and dont have a 5.7 I have a complete long block that has less then 12K on it.. It was taken out of a truck that I help to a stroker swap for.

The new hemis are becoming very popular, so you shouldn't have to much trouble getting an idea of how much money and work will be involved.Since your in Ohio you should go to nationals, I'll bet you can find someone there who has done it and give you an idea of what you would be getting into.If its what you want to do, than don't let anyone tell you its to hard. Lifes to short, be happy and have fun with it. I was told many times that a Hemi would not fit in a Diplomat, but I did it anyway because well its a Hemi!!

-
Back