360 /380 hp crate engine noisy valve train

-

joes68340s

Reaction score
Just wondering I recently installed a very low mileage 360/380 hp crate motor. It runs good no problems but the valve train is noisy like a small solid cam. I'm just curious if there are issues I should no about if this is common. I had a 300 hp crate and it made some noise on start up but went away. Mostly from sitting a day or more but this one is still some what noisy even when warm.

What kind of oil are you running? Sticky lifters? A hydraulic roller cam shouldn't make much noise. I put a Hughs cam in my 360/300 and it doesn't sound any louder. You could check the torque on the rocker mounting bolts. Been fooled by header gasket leaks a couple of times. They can tick as if they were a valve train noise. Found them by feeling around for the air flow.

What kind of oil are you running? Sticky lifters? A hydraulic roller cam shouldn't make much noise. I put a Hughs cam in my 360/300 and it doesn't sound any louder. You could check the torque on the rocker mounting bolts. Been fooled by header gasket leaks a couple of times. They can tick as if they were a valve train noise. Found them by feeling around for the air flow.
I`ve seen, and had hyd. roller cams that were louder than solid roller cams. the last being compcams in a hot 406 sbc. back then I talked to a chevy racer and mech. that has held an NHRA record 18 times over the yrs., and he said a lot of them do that. if everything is right in the valve train, I wouldn`t worry too much about it . you might try tightening the preload a little more, try one full turn. I did and it helped some. -----jfyi

I have know Idea about the oil so I will start with a change and check the preload.

I've had two of the 360/300hp magnum crate engines and they were quiet other than the occasional noisey lifter at startup after sitting a few days. Sometimes one or more would linger for a few miles or more and then finally quiet down. Did this engine sit for awhile? Maybe it will eventually quiet down after it comes some miles on it and an oil change. I always ran Valvoline 10W-30 conventional here in Florida, FWIW. Wish I still had one of those engines. Ya, I think assembly might have been a little shoddy with some seeping gaskets, but geez, what a torquey engine with instant throttle response! I think the 300hp and 375lb/ft torque was underrated!

I've had two of the 360/300hp magnum crate engines and they were quiet other than the occasional noisey lifter at startup after sitting a few days. Sometimes one or more would linger for a few miles or more and then finally quiet down. Did this engine sit for awhile? Maybe it will eventually quiet down after it comes some miles on it and an oil change. I always ran Valvoline 10W-30 conventional here in Florida, FWIW. Wish I still had one of those engines. Ya, I think assembly might have been a little shoddy with some seeping gaskets, but geez, what a torquey engine with instant throttle response! I think the 300hp and 375lb/ft torque was underrated!
Yes It sat and needs to be run more with a fresh oil change.

Mine's been pretty loud since new. Has one that's really ticking and has been that way since day one.
I figure to go cam/lifters/rockers and EQ heads down the road so I don't worry about it.

You might check!
I have a couple of magnum engine books not by Mopar, which I can't find at the moment, and one of them states that some Magnum rocker bolt holes aren't drilled and tapped deep enough in the heads. He suggests going back with Grade 8 shorter cap screws and washers.
Ace is the place.
Hope this helps prevent some real problems.

Last edited:
You might check!
I have a couple of magnum engine books not by Mopar, which I can't find at the moment, and one of them states that some Magnum rocker bolt holes aren't drilled and tapped deep enough in the heads. He suggests going back with # 8 shorter cap screws and washers.
Ace is the place.
Hope this helps prevent some real problems.
Haven't heard that info,on Magnums.Wouldn't surprise me... Was curious,if the O.P. has checked the actual lifter preload,by the pushrod......?

Haven't heard that info,on Magnums.Wouldn't surprise me... Was curious,if the O.P. has checked the actual lifter preload,by the pushrod......?
I haven't had the valve covers off yet thanks for info I will check all that shortly. Thanks

-
Back