360 4 bolt mains

-

sixpakmopar

sixpakmopar
Reaction score
has anybody converted thier 360 to 4 bolt mains? i just bought a set of mopar performance caps with bolts new in the box off of ebay. there is also a set to fit 340s for 60.00 from the same guy

I used Milodon #11300 4-bolt main caps on my '73 340. The outer bolts are splayed btw.

$60.00 sounds way too cheap for the 340 set you found on ebay. Machine work would cost more than that. The Milodon mains run about $250.00 from Summit & Jeg's. :?

Not sure makes 'em for MP... Milodon perhaps? What did you pay for your set? :)

Milodon4-boltMainCaps.jpg

So, what's the point of a 4 bolt main cap on a smallblock Mopar?
Never seen or heard of main strength issues on a small block, they usually fail from consequential damage, not as a primary fault.

Save your $$.

Mark.

I'm using a steel 4" stroker crank / 6-71 blower combo and wanted a bullet proof bottom end.

the Mopar erf. ones aren't as fancy as your Milodon ones- their straight bolt ductile iron main caps- and your right the machine work WILL cost more than the caps did- I work at a machine shop so I bought a set of each.

The 4 bolt M.P. caps are DESIGNED for the T/A, X and R series blocks.
Adding them to a stock block, IMO only serves to weaken the main areas on that block.
Take a look at the main areas on an R (Or T/A or 'X') series block and compare it to the stock block, then you'll see what I mean.

You're just weakening what you already have by "4-bolting" it.

Mark.

I agree with Mark, not a good idea in a regular passenger car block. This is one of those Chevy things, the Chevys have them so we should too. It's BS. I'm making nearly 600 HP with a nonfilled late model stock stroke 360 block with just main studs. If you absolutely insist on four bolt mains then buy an MP R3 block, I think the 340 replacement block has 4 bolt mains as well (not sure though) but if it doesn't I'm sure it's got the thick webbing to use them.

-
Back