360/5.9 Flywheel Question

-

Captain Chaos

Reaction score
Please read slowly before replying because I'm getting mixed info on this, thanks.

I have 1997 5.9. I will be using a carb so I don't need the pickup ring for the crank sensor, what flywheel, specifically do I need for this? I know the engine is externally balanced. I assume an early style flywheel would work, but which application? Thanks in advance.

What bellhousing are you using?

If you are putting an older 4 speed behind it MP has(or last time I looked) the proper flywheel for your application. The magnum engines had a different external balance than LA 360s and cast crank 340s. It is possible to use an old neutral balanced flywheel and modify/rebalance it to work on a magnum engine. The flywheel will bolt up to the engine without any problems.

Of course all this depends on what you are using for a bellhousing/trans.

Please read slowly before replying because I'm getting mixed info on this, thanks.

I have 1997 5.9. I will be using a carb so I don't need the pickup ring for the crank sensor, what flywheel, specifically do I need for this? I know the engine is externally balanced. I assume an early style flywheel would work, but which application? Thanks in advance.

The Magnums are balanced differently than the LA 360. If its an automatic, you can get the weighted ring style flex-plate thru MOPAR performance and then use a neutral balanced (no weights) converter. If its going to be a stick, B&M and Hughes both make the flywheel with the correct balance.

Larry

If you are putting an older 4 speed behind it MP has(or last time I looked) the proper flywheel for your application. The magnum engines had a different external balance than LA 360s and cast crank 340s. It is possible to use an old neutral balanced flywheel and modify/rebalance it to work on a magnum engine. The flywheel will bolt up to the engine without any problems.

I'm going to use an NV-3500 from a 318. I'm not tearing down the 5.9 as it still runs good, I just want to put it behind a 5 speed. I know others that have done it but they have all had it balanced as an assembly.

The Magnums are balanced differently than the LA 360. If its an automatic, you can get the weighted ring style flex-plate thru MOPAR performance and then use a neutral balanced (no weights) converter. If its going to be a stick, B&M and Hughes both make the flywheel with the correct balance.

Larry
I didn't realize they were balanced differently, definately good to know. Thanks for the heads up and info on B&M and Hughes.

-
Back