360 Assembly issues help plz!!!

-

Lazares81

"Mopar: You're either with us, or behind us!"
Reaction score
So i was finally putting together the 360 for my swinger and was done with all xcept the harmonic balancer, started to put it on backyard style with some wood and a hammer and some patience
The problem is that it appears to me the pulley is approx 1/4" from touching the timing chain cover, at the section of the cover that has the timing marks, and the bolt i got from summit still doesnt catch any threads with the spacer on it, if i take the spacer off then i can catch 4 threads.
Is this normal with a brand new harmonic and an old crankshaft that has been rebalanced and honed? Is this normal for the harmonic to be so close to the timing chain cover? Can i get a longer bolt and just tighten it down till the balancer sits flush?
Any advice will be great help and much appreciated

You need to stop right now !! There is a thread on this. Do not hammer the harmonic unit on !! There is a special tool you should use or at the very least get a longer bolt you can start to pull the balancer on with. I will find the link for you.

Here is the thread. Go to near the end and you will find the reference to the tool. I do believe a longer bolt will work as well on the mopar. Reason that unlike the other brand, mopar uses a stout bolt to hold the damper on. But you do not want to pound on the crank. You can damage stuff. That is covered in this thread as well.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=200536

There was another thread about this a few weeks back, you might check that one. I just put mine on last week, new harmonic balancer on a standard 360 crank. I had no problems, I used the bolt to bring it in.

Here is the best info re this. Comes from a senior member here.

Originally Posted by swinger
Success! Thanks again.

I pulled the damper back off and had a close look at everything. I found that my bolt would not easily thread into the crank, so I cleaned up the threads best I could without having a tap/die that size, and I got it moving more freely. I think it was binding and giving me a high torque reading before actually seating the damper. I lubed everything back up, re-assembled and torqued it together, and now I have only maybe .040" between the timing marks and the damper, and my pullys are well aligned.

My only question is: How far should you be able to seat the damper onto the end of the crank, before relying on the bolt to pull it in? I could barely get mine started, and only had just over 2 turns of the bolt engaged before I had to start tightening... and crossed my fingers that I wasn't going to strip out those two threads.

glad ya got it..

for the install you should really use a balancer install tool, that would give ya better thread endangerment to pull the balancerr in.... don't hit it with a hammer..lol thats not very good for the bearings...

Harmonic Balancer Installer Tool Instructions - How to ToolCast from BoxWrench - YouTube

www.MoparMisfits.com

Agreed that you should not hammer a balancer on even if using a block of wood. Just not a good idea. It's possible the bolt you got was too short. The Mopar perf. bolt I bought for my engine year before last was too short and only caught 3-4 threads. It's a 3/4" fine thread grade 8 bolt. Go to your local farm supply and find one 1/2"-3/4" longer than the one you have. That's what I did and it worked great.

Try dropping the balancer in a bucket and pouring boiling water over it. let it sit for a few minutes then try installing the balancer and it will most likely slide straight on.

I think that Mancini racing has the different length bolts for the harmonic balancer.

All thread, nut, some thick washers and warm up balancer snout if you don't want to buy the tool.

Thank you everyone for your input, i got the balancer seated today, it was a BB bolt i had lol, and that tool from autozone makes it a hell of a lot easier, now im just praying i didn't fudge up any of the internals by smacking it at first :-( if i did then off comes the pan and well u guys know the rest.

-
Back