360 Balancer Differences???

-

xLURKxDOGx

"An angel fat, at satan's feast"
Reaction score
I have A 72 D100 with a 1977 block casting 360 that the Balancer rubber is squeezing out of and I want to replace it with another Balancer I have laying around. My question is they aren’t the same in appearance? Right is what I pulled off and the left is the replacement. Why are they different? Can I use the one on the left?

Thanks,
Jake

99208D04-5FE6-42E2-BB6D-6506E845A201.jpeg

C4C91D33-46F8-4ABF-BBB8-21BC8E095DA5.jpeg

B10DAE49-816A-45A8-9381-E31D79FFFCA9.jpeg

The one on the right looks like forged crank and left is cast ?
I just put it in and cranked it over and it seams very different kind of wobbly. I’m wondering now if it’s not the right one.

Jake

Black one looks to be late balance, you need to replace it with one that's identical.

The magnums had a similar look to the black one, but with a 3 spoke serpentine pulley... but the counterweight looks real close.

I'm pretty sure they are interchangeable. The 71 to about 75-76 used the one that had the offset balance weight in the keyed center hub. The later one the outer ring was the offset weight. I would use the early one-offset wedge.

I was thinking one on left is for cast/external balanced and right is forged/internal?
No they are both for a external balanced 360LA engine. Just one is the early version and one is the later version. Anything internal balanced will not have a weight or a cut out on it. There is one odd 340 balancer that looks like it would work but that will be marked 340 ONLY and it was only used in 1973 with the 340 case cranks so it's not the same. The 360 magnum looks real close but it is different yet... DO NOT USE IT! You would not be able to use your pulleys anyway because the bolt pattern is total different on the magnum.

Last edited:
If it’s wobbly either the crank is bent or the balancer is coming apart. Kim
It ran perfect with the other Balancer but it’s within the first few revolutions seemed a bit wobbly but when it was running it felt fine. I’m going to look for a similar one just to be safe.

Thanks.

The balancer on the above photo is on a 360 Magnum externally balanced crate motor. The balance weight is different than an LA 360. I think the magnum weight is smaller.

Last edited:
-
Back