360 balancing

-

Red Beard

Reaction score
I've got a '71 360. My machine shop that balanced the rotating assembly did so with my ATI Damper and B&M flexplate. I've just gotten a Coan 3000 stall convertor for the 727. I know the 360 is originally balanced by weights on the convertor. My question is, do I still need to put weights on the convertor.

Thanx in advance,
James

if the motor was balanced by the shop with the B&M and dampener. Just knock the wieghts off the torque converter. The B&M flexplate is designed for the motor to be able to take after market, non wieghted converters...

I'll take that reputation click now ;)

does the b&m flexplate have an "chunk" missing from one side? (for imbalance) If so no weights are required on the flexplate

Khyron said:
it will only go in one way, the bolt holes on the crank are setup slightly offset :D

If you've got the converter and engine out, you can line up the bolt holes (and mark them) before installing it. Otherwise it's just trial and error... Bolt up 3 bolts, see if the last one goes in easily. If not, spin it around, pull out all three bolts, move it to the next hole and start over.

If you've got luck like me, it'll be the 4th combination that you try.

DONT force the bolts in, if they don't go in easily it's not lined up properly.

opps, I need to read a bit better. I thought he ment the flex plate to the crank :doh:

I must have gotten lucky because my torque converter was very obvious with were it lined up.

I alway hit the converter/flexplate assembly with a shot of white paint before I tear it apart... Of course this doesn't do him any good right now...

Lars said:
I alway hit the converter/flexplate assembly with a shot of white paint before I tear it apart... Of course this doesn't do him any good right now...
I do the same thing, got tired of putting the converter bolts in three times before I got it right.

If your motor is internally ballanced, all you need is a ballanced converter/flywheel/flex plate that is 0 ballanced rite? I just dropped my 340 off today to get balanced. But I'm going to be running a 4 speed.

-
Back