360 bore

-

tguss

Reaction score
I have a 360 block I used a digital caliper on piston bore , reading I got was 4.035 is this in specs of being 30 over ?? Thanks

Sounds like a .030 with some wear. Need to check down in the bore in the ring travel area w a bore gauge. Thrush side tends to wear a little more. Could be .010 or more out. Just measuring top of bore don't tell you all you need to know, need to measure throughout. I had a std bore 340 that measured 4.043 or so at the top with a dial indicator. It needed to be bored .040 to true it up because it was wearing at bottom of cylinder on thrush side.

What should be range of measurement to use this block if it's 30 over , I'll get tool to do bottom and middle reading, block and bores looks in great shape , trying to budget it , but need numbers to work with , thanks

If it has a sharp ridge at the top of the cylinder that's where the most wear will be, right below the ridge. That is the area that would be the last to clean up on an overbore.

all the wear is at the top.
wouldn't an .030 over be 4.030 bore and use a 4.028 piston?

all the wear is at the top.
wouldn't an .030 over be 4.030 bore and use a 4.028 piston?
Most pistons i have seen have the tolerances built into them. Forged needing more play than a cast piston. Have seen new cast 4.030 measure 4.028 and forged measure 4.025 +/- but still considered a 4.030 piston

-
Back