360 build Ideas

-
do you have a piston ring pliers? if you install the rings improperly they can fail (stretch out to far)- if you don't gap the rings they could fail...

1. get a ring pliers and take them out 1 piston at a time and gap them with a small file and a feeler gauge

2. if it were me I'd get a new set of rings with the proper pliers and start over...

My dad installed them and checked the gap when doing so. He said they were fine. And why should I get a new set if the one's I have were perfectly fine? All I need is a new wiper ring. The other 7 pistons rings were all walked on, and not distorted. I don't think I'll have a problem.

Well, my dad installed the 7 pistons that were fine, and I took a few pictures.

pistonandrings.jpg

the single one that I broke.
total.jpg

sidevieweven.jpg

sideviewodd.jpg

headsdoneandpainted.jpg

exhaustport.jpg

exhaustclose.jpg

intake.jpg

CCdone.jpg

they reused the intakes valves as those were fine, but had to get all 8 exhaust valves replaced. Yeah, they were that bad.
blocktaped.jpg

newcrank.jpg

newstuff.jpg

yay new stuff. including an externally balanced flywheel, so we can take the weight off the torque converter.

I would get a new set of rings so they're matched.. if you break a ring you're putting them on wrong

I wouldn't call a ring gap "fine" I guess I gaped my Ford 302's rings for nitrous use (ya ya still a 4" bore)

I used Wiseco's gaping rules for doing so- [ame]http://www.aa1car.com/library/ringendgap_wiseco.pdf[/ame]

top ring - .022"
second ring- .024-5"

not trying to be a dick just saying it's important and shouldn't be guessed or over looked

Well, the ring I got from him, was the exact same brand (Mahle), came in the exact same box and looked exactly the same as the one I broke. Mahle is known for matching their stuff together, so I'm quite certain that they have a master ring that all the others are matched to. Besides, the way I got the rings, you could pretty much mix and match all of them regardless of how they came in. I get what you are saying, but unless Mahle really screwed up, we've never had any issues with rings before. And, the engine is totally done.

donefront.jpg

donerear.jpg

We must have gone through 4 tubes of silicone, as my dad hates cork gaskets.

gonna media blast the kick down lever tomorrow and then either paint it or clear coat it. Because right now, it just looks like ****. And doing all this is probably going to make me want to take out the old wiring harness and clean the firewall and get a new wiring harness. and you can see where this is going lol...

I do need a 318 torque converter though, since the flexplate is now the rear balancer instead of the TC. Which I now have.

-
Back