360 converter

-

swedefish

Reaction score
Well, today I went to have a closer look to the very first car I had as a 19 year old. You can have a look in the following thread
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=42251

Anyway, it now sports a 360 engine (with the original 904 tranny) instead of the 273.
And the seller told me it needs to swap the converter from the stock converter, because of severe vibrations
He has bought a used converter for a 360 that will follow the car in the sale.

Now I wonder if any converter from a 360 will work or does it have to be balanced together with the specific engine?

He will also let a 8 1/4 rear axle follow the deal. How far can I strees a 8 1/4.
Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
Thanks guys

All 360s (except the 93 and later magnum) use the same converter. Bolt it in and enjoy.

It's not going to be that simple. Early 904's used an 18 spline converter and the 273 had a smaller 1.55" pilot hub going into the crank. Any converter made for a 904 that was behind a 360 will be a 27 spline so it won't work with your old style transmission. The only 2 solutions I know of is to swap the whole trans. to the newer 27 spline because no mfg. makes a 18 spline converter with the larger 1.81" pilot hub. A friend of mine just went through the same thing on a 65 Dart he bought. He called every converter mfg. he could find and nobody made one that would work.

The only other solution is to disassemble the trans and put a newer 27 spline input shaft in it so you can use a newer converter with the larger hub. Any way you go it's not as easy as just a converter swap.

8-1/4" axles are alot stronger than alot of people give them credit for. In that early A-body it should live a long time.

I had one in a truck I raced for a few yrs. Ran it over 500 times and it ran 14.40's and weighed 3800 with me in it. Raced it on the weekends and used it as a truck during the week and sold it at 90,000 miles and the rearend was still going strong. The guy I sold it to pulled a stump grinder all over the place and finally after it passed 130,000 miles (hard ones too) the rearend went out. I wouldn't worry about it unless your planning over 400 hp and sticky tires and racing it.

66 Barracuda - nice!!
8 1/4 rear is pretty strong and will handle 360 torque, it's hard to get enough traction to break it. Does it have the same 4" bolt circle for wheels? 7 1/4 might hold up.
64 to 66 273 engines had a small diameter pilot hole in the crankshaft for the torque converter hub to fit into. The 360 crank has a larger pilot hole. All 360 ballanced torque converters have the larger hub diameter.
B&M makes a ballanced flex plate for a 360 with a 904 trans and will fix your vibration; Summit Auto Parts sells it, about $80.00. You than need to have a bushing made to fit in the 360 crank to center up the smaller hub of your original 904 converter. Worked for me.
Rick

Thanks for all the inputs guys

See if I got this right.
In the way it is set up for the moment, with the 273/904 converter, the pilot hub is too small for the 360 engine crank. And could cause a failure if not taking care of.
And if I use a 360/904 converter it won`t fit with the -66/ 904 tranny?
Because the converter has 27 splines and the tranny got 18 splines ?
But could this be accomlished with a special buillt converter, a mix of a
1,81" pilot hub / 18 spline converter ?
Or would it cost moore than solve it with a later buillt tranny?

Guys if you'll take time to read my earlier post as well as Rcuda2's post you'll see that isn't the total solution. The pilot hub is a different size and if not addressed will break parts.

he already must have the modified converter in the car though...am i wrong?...therefore changing the flexplate or welding on weights should solve all :)

Thanks for all the inputs guys

See if I got this right.
In the way it is set up for the moment, with the 273/904 converter, the pilot hub is too small for the 360 engine crank. And could cause a failure if not taking care of.
And if I use a 360/904 converter it won`t fit with the -66/ 904 tranny?
Because the converter has 27 splines and the tranny got 18 splines ?
But could this be accomlished with a special buillt converter, a mix of a
1,81" pilot hub / 18 spline converter ?
Or would it cost moore than solve it with a later buillt tranny?

You got it. I haven't priced doing this but my buddy swapped to a later trans. cause it was going to cost him more for a converter. Not sure what it would be like in your neck of the woods. The one fellow mentioned he had a spacer made that adapted the the older converter to the 360. I would bet that's the cheapest way to go. Of course you'd also have to use the B&M flexplate to balance things but I think their only about $70 US.

he already must have the modified converter in the car though...am i wrong?...therefore changing the flexplate or welding on weights should solve all :)

It doesn't sound like it Doug because he said it vibrates real bad. The original converter pilot hub is smaller so it would fit right in the 360 crank. The problem is since there is slop there it'll tear stuff up.

BTW: Just wanted to clarify I didn't mean to be a smart axx by typing big. I just wanted to make sure it was seen.

You got it. The one fellow mentioned he had a spacer made that adapted the the older converter to the 360. I would bet that's the cheapest way to go. Of course you'd also have to use the B&M flexplate to balance things but I think their only about $70 US.

May be a dumb question but
Could this be done with a "bushing" increasing the diameter from
1,55" to 1,81".
This is in reality two issues to solve.

It doesn't sound like it Doug because he said it vibrates real bad. The original converter pilot hub is smaller so it would fit right in the 360 crank. The problem is since there is slop there it'll tear stuff up.

BTW: Just wanted to clarify I didn't mean to be a smart axx by typing big. I just wanted to make sure it was seen.

hey, no problem...good job, :)

Went to pick up the car yesterday (sunday). Yiiipppee
I just love it, can`t belieave I once sold it.
About the flexplate , is it this one to use with the 360 and the -66 A 904 tranny?
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=BMM-10239&autoview=sku
Many thanks in advance
Lenny

augusti-08 014 - Kopia.JPG

Thanks fishy68.
Sorry Rcuda2 ,didn`t notice your input about the bushing until I posted my question about it.

Man that is one sharp looking ride Lenny. Almost the same color as mine too. Is that an original color? Mine was repainted before I got it and it's paint from an 89 Plymouth Laser called Raspberry. Just a couple shades lighter than the original Maroon and has a little metallic.

Thanks fishy.
Sorry, it´s not the original paint. It`s a metallic paint, I don`t know the name or the colour, but it is a very nice paint though there are some spots of rust to take care of.
The original paint was a red shade similair to the -67 bright red.
I`m going to have a look for the broad cast sheet later, hopefully it`s still in the car.
But the first thing to do is to correct the issue with the converter.
But before that I got to finish my -67 Formula S in my avatar.

-
Back