360 Crank question

-

carls72dart

Reaction score
Hi Fabo, in need of your help. I picked up a 360 engine, it was in a 71 Dart with a 904 auto trans. I'm looking to put the engine in a 74 Duster.

The Duster is an a833 4 speed car. Do I need to change the crank? Or do I just need to make sure the bellhousing and fly wheel bolt up?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance....

If the crank isn't drilled for a pilot (most of the automatic cranks aren't finished drilled) they make a conversion pilot bushing.

Or you can use a roller bearing.

Or you can make a pilot bushing that fits where the roller bearing fits. That's what I do.

And make sure the hole is deep enough.

the bellhousing and flywheel will bolt up. the crank may not be machined enough. if as has been said does not fit, the crank can be removed and machined.

Dont forget the correct flywheel will need to be used if the engine is still ext balanced or you will have vibration issues.

Half the time we'd lop a 1/2 off the input shaft whenever the crank wasn't finish drilled, nowadays there aren't too many 4 spds in the yards...but it really doesn't matter , it still will work with a finished pilot crank or roller type that sits in the tq convertor hub register.

-
Back