360 Engine Question

-

jeeper

Reaction score
I have access to a 1973 era 360 out of a Motorhome. It has about 65K on it. Are there any issues with this engine like heating/cooling etc?

I am aware that big block stuff had issues on occasion when used in industrial apps.

Are there any reasons why this would not make a decent strip/strip engine?

The only issue it could have is being worked to death in something so heavy, but generally those M.H. engines are well-maintained because of that.

It's basically a pick-up 360 installed into a special chassis, so all you'd really need is a car pan and change the exhaust valve spring retainers from the 2-piece rotating style to the 1-piece style, plus good springs, of course.
As far as heating related isues, there's no more of an issue with that application of 360 than a car type, unless it was very badly maintained.

It should also be the the earlier casting numbere 3418496 heavy casting block.

Oh, also, if it's an early '73 MH, it COULD actually be a '72 built 360 with 'J' heads and non-dished pistons.

Mark.

That is good to know. I actually removed it about 4 years ago when I was collecting parts and then sold it to one of my students dad's.

He put it in a truck that I had sold them. The put a new carb and intake and then didn't drive it.

They are convinced that it is a bad engine and are selling it back to me with a performer intake!

We'll see. I remember the rig was a 73, but not sure on the date of it.

Good to know. It sounds like a good year. I just wasn't sure of funky head cooling holes or some other Motorhome specific issue.

Thanks for your help, ROB

-
Back