360 Engines, WIW

-

MuuMuu101

Reaction score
What's the going rate of used 360 engines nowadays? I found a guy on facebook who is selling his 360 engine out of a first generation Ramcharger. The only information he's provided is, "I got a dodge 360 under 80k original miles up for sale runs strong just needs fine carb tuning and timing advanced." He is asking $400 obo, but it seems he wants it out before April or he's scrapping that, the 727, and the chassis (not that I want the rest).

Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• 1798096_508703969239180_1857211441_n.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 202
For $400 I'd probably go for it, but I would also get the tranny tossed in to sweeten up the deal. Take the motor mounts too, you could sell them to someone that has a van/truck swapping out their 318 for a 360.

The actual miles on the Ramcharger is an unknown, regardless of what the seller claims, unless he has documentation going back to when it was new. So it very well be a tired old motor. What year is the Ramcharger?

Check the numbers on the side of the block, hard to tell in the fuzzy picture, but that sure looks like a 318 carb on that motor.

For $400 I'd probably go for it, but I would also get the tranny tossed in to sweeten up the deal. Take the motor mounts too, you could sell them to someone that has a van/truck swapping out their 318 for a 360.

The actual miles on the Ramcharger is an unknown, regardless of what the seller claims, unless he has documentation going back to when it was new. So it very well be a tired old motor. What year is the Ramcharger?

Would the tranny fit in my '68 Dart? I'm sure if I waved cash in his face I could get it for cheaper. I don't know what year the truck is. It's definitely a 1st Gen. Looks like a '74-75 (look at 1st pic).

This is what he posted today with regards to the second pic, "Got a ramcharger chassis up for sale everything in pic included other than 727 and 360 $500obo or take the chassis 360 727 & full time t-case for $700."

First pic was posted 2 weeks ago, the second was posted today.

Attachments

• 10004075_508705609239016_353057245_n.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 199
  • 1896831_508705182572392_1267347152_n.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 191

this ^^^^^

Yes the 727 would fit...if it is a 318, it should be a bolt in deal and shorten the driveshaft about 4", or you could just pull the longblock swap the converter and mate it to your 904...

if it's a 360, you might be better off keeping the trans with it as a package and shortening the DS...you'd also have to either modify your driver side engine mount or shim it to fit the different gap on the 360's mounting ears.

Can't recall correctly, but doesn't a 360 have a weighted converter? or is it the flexplate?

EDIT: you said it's a 4wd? that 727 wouldn't fit since it would have a different tailshaft housing..

Well, I'd have to shorten the driveshaft regardless as I'd be swapping out my 7 1/4 for my 8 3/4.

Do the shifting mechanism swap out between a 904 and 727? I've got a floor shift car.

pretty sure they're the same, but you might've missed my EDIT...the 727 is from a 4wd, so if you wanted to use it, you'd have to change the tailshaft and tailshaft housing to fit a 2wd

pretty sure they're the same, but you might've missed my EDIT...the 727 is from a 4wd, so if you wanted to use it, you'd have to change the tailshaft and tailshaft housing to fit a 2wd

Yep, I posted right before you edited... Would it still be a good enough deal to get the trans and flip it to make up for some of the cost of the engine?

I personally think it would "IF" it's really a good strong running 360 with good oil pressure, no leaks, knocks, or issues. The biggest thing you'd be out for money to swap that 360 to the 904 would be probably a converter (if they are indeed counterweighted)

I personally think it would "IF" it's really a good strong running 360 with good oil pressure, no leaks, knocks, or issues. The biggest thing you'd be out for money to swap that 360 to the 904 would be probably a converter (if they are indeed counterweighted)

I sent him a message asking what's been done to the engine, compression tests, oil pressure, etc. We'll see if he replies. I'd rather not have a big question mark doing an engine swap.

Would the tranny fit in my '68 Dart? I'm sure if I waved cash in his face I could get it for cheaper. I don't know what year the truck is. It's definitely a 1st Gen. Looks like a '74-75 (look at 1st pic).

This is what he posted today with regards to the second pic, "Got a ramcharger chassis up for sale everything in pic included other than 727 and 360 $500obo or take the chassis 360 727 & full time t-case for $700."

First pic was posted 2 weeks ago, the second was posted today.

FYI 74 had a different top/doors as the door frames were cut off and attached to the top. Look cooler, but the doors are not too strong.

Not sure if there is a motor difference in 74 vs 75, but there ya go fwiw

I'm going to need new exhaust manifolds, right? I believe I've read on this forum that the 273 exhaust manifolds don't like sitting on other heads. Or am I wrong?

Wave cash in his face...$200.
Try not to get to $300, and let him sell all the other stuff, you just want the engine...with the accessories on it.
Get yourself an appropriate aftermarket 360 balanced flex plate, and you'll be able to bolt it up to your neutral balanced 318 torque converter.
That, and find yourself the correct 340/360 left motor mount.

At $300 that's a fair deal for a core to rebuild. Or, IF it's solid, run it it!

I know the fender is incorrect, but the grill is '77... whether or or not original, who's to say... And I'd bet 180,000 or 280,000 miles. At that age what vehicle has less than 80,000 on it?

-
Back