360 flex plate & torque converter options

-

kiss

Reaction score
The shop has my 360 and they're rebuilding it now. It's a very stock rebuild, nothing special. This will be in my daily driver Dart. I've read all about how 360s are externally balanced and I had some questions in regards to it. This is a 360 LA engine.

The shop has a harmonic balancer for it, but they do not have a 360 torque converter/flex plate. The paranoid person inside me says to get them one so they can check the balancing on it. Am I being overly paranoid about this? I know people switch out torque converters all the time, and as long as they're the 360 style (externally balanced with weights) there shouldn't be a problem. Still, I guess I just want them to ensure everything is balanced on the balancing machine. Thoughts?

If I do move forward with getting them one, my first choice would just be finding an aftermarket 360 torque converter/flex plate combo that would work. Again, this is a daily driver, nothing special! Does anyone have any recommendations on which one I should buy? Most I find are for high performance application and are like $500+. I just want a stock-ish replacement one, or one that would yield more economy/performance. I really don't know where to start for this.

The other idea I had was just getting this and giving it to the shop right away:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bmm-10236/overview/make/dodge
That would enable me to use a neutrally balanced torque converter. I guess that's nice for options and everything, but it would raise the price buying it all separate. Again, for a daily driver, i'd prefer to go the previous route of getting a flex plate/torque converter combo. If I DO have to go this route, can someone explain to me how it works as far as ring gear? All the flex plates i've come across have the teeth on them, so when I saw this one I scratched my head. If I get a torque converter to go with it, what do I do for the ring gear? Do I need to buy one and have it welded to the torque converter? Sorry if this is a dumb question, I am not experienced in this area.

Thanks guys.

Mopars have the starter ring/teeth on the converter. B&M makes good stuff and their flexplate is the easiest solution to the external balance issue.

Locomotion said:
Mopars have the starter ring/teeth on the converter.
That makes total sense! Thanks!

Locomotion said:
B&M makes good stuff and their flexplate is the easiest solution to the external balance issue.
That's what I keep reading. I should probably just get one, give it to the shop, and be done with it.

I am in the process of swapping out my 318 for a 360 and I am reusing my converter and trans that's already attached to my 318 currently and just using the balanced flex plate from b&m don't forget the drivers side motor mount needs to be replaced or modified. And will need to do some work to the kick down linkage if you Are currently running a 2 barrel carb.

I bought mine from summit through ebay less than 100$ and free shipping

I bought mine from summit through ebay less than 100$ and free shipping
Thanks. I think I am going to just order the B&M flex plate also.

My follow-up question is what torque converter would people recommend? This is just a daily driver, stock rebuild 360/727 going into my '71 Dart.

I also used the external balanced B&M flex plate and a neutral balanced converter when the 360 went into my 66 charger.

What converter are you using now ?? My 318 was internally balanced so that mean the converter should be non balanced no ?? And neutral meaning all that is needed to run ur current trans and converter. I am runnin my stock rebuilt 904 with same converter that was in it behind the 318. Only thing needed is the balanced flex plate

What converter are you using now ?? My 318 was internally balanced so that mean the converter should be non balanced no ?? And neutral meaning all that is needed to run ur current trans and converter. I am runnin my stock rebuilt 904 with same converter that was in it behind the 318. Only thing needed is the balanced flex plate
I am not converting from a 318, I am converting from a slant6/904 to a 360/727 and I don't have a torque converter, thus my question.

The other things you mentioned in the conversion I have covered :)

Ahhhh gotcha I guess I missed that part lol. I suppose if I had the money I would buy something as close to stock as possible if it was stock or close to stock motor. I guess also if it was not quite stock I might also think about buying a small stall converter that is weighted that way I don't have to buy a stock type converter and a flex plate.

Either way you have to buy a converter so I would try and find the cheapest best solution and buying a converter and flex plate might not be that.

If u get a used or for that matter new converter make sure it's weighted I'd you want to run the reg flywheel ( does ur 360 have one ?) or non weighted if you get the flexplate.

Sorry I can't help much with what exact converter you should run if u decide to do use the/a reg flexplate and a weighted converter.

Don't know why it is highlighting flexplate I did not do that

If you do buy an aftermarket converter that's weighted so you can use the OEM flexplate you have, make sure the converter bolt pattern matches!

The B&M plates have 3 different bolt patterns and the are MUCH stronger than OEM. While not common, OEM plates have been known to break, even in mild performance applications .

Hi fellas. Sorry not trying to hijack the thread but I also have the same question.

I also recently had a shop put in a rebuilt 360 and attached it to my A904. I just now had the weights fall off of the torque converter....they used the old torque converter that was used on my previous 318 and just welded the weights on....so I'm looking to replace it and the flex plate with something stronger. My engine is pretty much stock with the exception of aluminum edelbrock RPM performer heads and a Mopar performance air gap intake. I'm not too experienced with this but I have done a little research and know that the torque converter should be weighted with 2 60 gram weights (well that's what I've found so far).

So with that said, could anyone recommend good torque converter and flex plate for me?

I was looking at these:

Boss Hogg Torque converter - weighted
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ape-53082

B&m flex plate
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bmm-10239

Or this torque converter. It's not weighted but the manufacturer will build one with weights for me.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hup-27-20

Thanks in advance!!

Why replace the converter if it is good just get the rest of the weights off there and get a b&m flexplate

I was thinking of replacing it because I don't know how old it is and figured now was the time.

I guess to simply things I'd just like to know what combination of flex plate and torque converter is eat for my setup. Again I'm no expert so any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

I guess to simply things I'd just like to know what combination of flex plate and torque converter is eat for my setup. Again I'm no expert so any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

again i say if it ain't broke and has not given you any reason to change it then i would go with just a flex plate and get the weights off current converter

but if you are insistent on a new converter i would suggest a inexpensive stock OEM type converter and B&M flex plate. it sounds like you have a pretty stock type setup so a OEM type should be just fine. I have heard a lot of different numbers on stock converters but i think they could go anywhere from the 1800-2500 stall range

so if you wanted to stick with the stock flex plate and go with a weighted (maybe 2500 stall max) converter

or get OEM type non weighted converter and a B&M flexplate

sorry i cant give you an exact brand but im sure summit/jegs or maybe even one of our sponsors here could help you on exact brand that would be better than the others.

i hope at some point somebody will give you a better idea on brands that are better than others

I was looking at these:

Boss Hogg Torque converter - weighted
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ape-53082

B&m flex plate
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bmm-10239

Or this torque converter. It's not weighted but the manufacturer will build one with weights for me.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hup-27-20

Thanks in advance!!
It is my understanding that those type of B&M flex plates (half moon, cookie with a bite out of it, etc.) provide the balance due to the cut-out. When using that flex plate you want to use a neutrally balanced converter, NOT a 360 converter with weights for balancing.

What you're saying is use a 360 converter with weights AND that B&M flex plate? That defeats the purpose and will throw off the balancing.

It is my understanding that those type of B&M flex plates (half moon, cookie with a bite out of it, etc.) provide the balance due to the cut-out. When using that flex plate you want to use a neutrally balanced converter, NOT a 360 converter with weights for balancing.

What you're saying is use a 360 converter with weights AND that B&M flex plate? That defeats the purpose and will throw off the balancing.

that's not what I'm saying at all.

options

1-stock type OEM ( non weighted) converter and B&M flex plate
2- stock type OEM or aftter market ( weighted) converter and stock flex plate

that's not what I'm saying at all.

options

1-stock type OEM ( non weighted) converter and B&M flex plate
2- stock type OEM or aftter market ( weighted) converter and stock flex plate
I didn't quote you, I quoted Sancho.

I think I got what I needed out of this thread. Thanks all! :)

Oops sorry about that. Wish I could have been more help but glad you figured something out

-
Back