360 H balancer

-

Avispa

Reaction score
I have a 79 360, I noticed on the balancer it's marked with a groove every 90 degrees and of course TDC and the advance numbers, is this a stock balancer?

It doesn't sound like it, but anything may be possible during the lean burn smog years. It should have some casting numbers underneath the pulley if it is a factory balancer.

I have seen those on stock small blocks before, so it might be.

In 79 they changed the balance weight. Took it off the outside. Then they took a groove out of the front of the balancer. Sounds factory you me. Post a pic. Kim

Last edited:
So it's not like the cast crank big block balancers in that you could actually see the counterweight?

Sorta yeah and sorta no. Instead of the weight, there is a scallop taken out of the inertia ring. If that makes sense. They are even interchangeable with the earlier LA 360s that have the weight. They are balanced the same, the balancer is just made differently. The balance itself didn't change until the Magnums came along.

The bean counters figured out that it was cheaper to take iron out of one side than to add iron into the opposite side. Similar to the B&M flex plate with the scallop cut out of one side that requires a converter for internal balance.

-
Back