360 idle tick

-

Braeden Clark

Reaction score
Hello all. My rebuilt 5.9l with around 4k miles has a small tick at idle. I put on hearers a week ago and it DEFINITELY has a leak somewhere, but I'm not sure if this sounds like an exhaust leak or valve noise at idle. It has a comp cam and the valvetrain has always been a touch noisy but I'm just looking for opinions on this. It's very faint and probably nothing but opinions never hurt right? If u listen in this video very close you can hear it. One thing I've wanted to do since running this motor is pull the valve cover and make sure nothing is loose. It's always had a tiny bit of a tick but this seems a tad louder. If you turn up your volume a little ways u can hear it.

Veeeeeeeery easy to tell if it is valve train tick. Forget about listening devices. If you suspect it is coming from a particular side, warm up the engine & remove that valve cover. Lay plenty of rag around & wear gloves [ heat ]. Engine idling, put your fingers on one rocker at a time & see if the noise changes. If it does, you have found the culprit, could be more than one rocker. Do the other side if needed.

6 whole seconds. Oh yeah. We can diagnose hell outta that. lol

Easy way to tell is you'll see carbon trails around the leak if it's a header.

-
Back