360 LA cam selection

-

mderoy340

Reaction score
upgrading a 360 for my brother's 318 66 dart.

Car currently runs 13.5 101 mph
Car as is:
3000 lb
3.55 SG 26x8 QTP slick
2500 stall 904 stock gear set
9:1 318 268H Comp cam, hughes 1.5 roller rockers, rhoads lifters
home ported 360 smog heads 1.88/1.6 milled to 62cc
sanderson 1 1/2 inch small tube headers, 2 1/2 collector with cutouts
rpm air gap, demon 650dp

360 going in the car
73 block 30 over H405P 9.3:1
same home ported 360 smog heads 1.88/1.6 milled to 62cc

Car is street driven to car shows and is not a trailer queen; goes to the track once a month. Cam going in this motor is for power not noise.

Haven't ruled out a custom grind. Cam I'm looking at is Lunati Voodoo
Solid Flat Tappet.
Not sure if the 9.3:1 compression will be an issue. Lunati has 10+ listed.

Excellent hot street/strip cam with great torque and HP from low to high end. Needs 2500 RPM stall converter, headers, 10:1+ compression, 3.55-3.73 gearing. Lopey idle.
Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 264/272
Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 235/243
Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .525/.546
LSA/ICL: 110/106
Valve Lash (Int/Exh): .016/.016
RPM Range: 2400-6600
Includes: Cam Only
Part Number: 30200740
Previous Part Number: 60440

I'll send all this to Lunati, Erson, Howard, Bullet etc, but would like to get some thoughts from FABO.
Thanks Mike

That cam is actually pretty mild-it's the same one in my Brother's 340 Scamp-mild lope, sounds good-not sure about the power output because we only got it running the day before my vacation was up.

would you be willing to swap gears and/or stall? What's your ET goal?

So many cams to pick from.....:banghead:

So i'll just comment on the Lunati you're looking at now. I don't see a huge issue with it regarding the 9.3 to 1. Yes it's probably as far I'd go for what it seems you guys are looking for, and it may be a little soft just off idle, but should be a pretty nice "hotrod" cam to tool around with. Just make sure it's degreed with the proper advance, and maybe stay a little on the loose side with the adjustment. With that said, I'm sure a custom grind or recommendation from some that you mentioned will probably sway you away from it.

I'm assuming the heads have a single spring considering the 454/268 currently in it. Just keep in mind that the guide bosses will have to be worked for the dual springs required for any cam in the range you're looking at now.

I think that cam is a little big on the duration for the converter and gear you have. JMO. Give Howards a look. They have some good grinds with quite a bit of lift on a short duration. Real nice stuff. But again, JMO.

I'll give the OP a +1 for 13.5 from a 318.

:burnout:

The car is a blast to drive as is, it will bust the street tires at will. At TNT the SRT boys won't even line up with it. At the track the car hooks up with the slicks. 60 ft is 2.0, the 3.55 plus the 2.45 first gear doesn't let the 318 get out of the hole very quick. I'm thinking the added torque of the 360 will improve the 60 ft time, get the into the 12s, and still be a nice street car.

Rear gear and stall will stay the same; its a street car that is driven to the track 100 miles to Palm Beach Raceway.

If there's no intention to change the gears or stall, you may want to even re-use that 268 cam if you can.

How about this, find the duration @.050 you want to run call/look around and find the cam with the most meat under the curve @ .200, and pick that one! :cheers:

I would drop down one size on the Lunati cam.
The longer stroke 360 will make plenty of torque to pull the gears and convertor you have.

First of all, if you had posted your current build and asked FABO what they all thought it would run, I bet most would have guessed mid 14's. I would have suggested mid 13's, and I would have been racked over the coals for suggesting that. Glad that's posted! :) Next, I think you could enter 12's by just moving everything over from the 318 to the 360 (cam, heads, intake, carb) and leaving gears and stall as is. Remember, you are going to get about 150-200 more rpm's of stall out of the stall with the 360's low end torque. The added torque/stall from the 360 should move your 60' down to 1.8 times at least. Yes, I agree with you, that the 360 could use a little more cam, but I would keep it as "little more" as possible. Perhaps maybe the next step up of the same cam. I would also recommend a 750 cfm carb. I brought two carbs to the strip to try on my 360 (it got 12.90's). I brought a 625 and a 750 dp. The 750 ran about 2 tenths faster and about 1 1/2 mph. I had the 284/484 mp cam. Again, I think you would already be in the high 12's with current components.

thanks for everyone's input.
I agree the 360 will stall a little higher.
intake, heads, carb, rockers, dizzy will be a swap. I have a 750VS 3310 to try also.
I'll cut the guides and seats down for double springs. Could try the current 268H cam but really looking to go solid flat tappet.
Lunati got back and recommended 9.8:1 as a minimum for the smallest vodoo solid, that's not happening.
Howards recommended their [email protected]
I've been playing with desktop dyno with conservative input and considering the CC XS268S. 9:1 comp 2500 stall strong mid range.

Wow, 13:50's with a stock stroke 318! That's really good, it's quicker than my car.

-
Back