360 LA oil pickup

-

Uncle Bob

Shiny paint causes stress.
Reaction score
I'm assembling a 360 and have a question about the oil pickup.

I see plenty of threads telling me that it needs to be at the bottom of the pan, but none describe how to change it if it's not.

It screws into the side of the oil pump, so threading it in farther makes no difference in the depth in the pan.

Am I supposed to bend it if it's not where it needs to be, or what?

I'm using a new Melling pump and pickup and a stock "392" car pan.

Put the oil pump and pick up on the engine and then test fit the pan....

When you rotate the pick up tube, it will raise or lower the pick up "foot"...

DSC02421.JPG

DSC02539.JPG

Last edited:
The stock pickup is meant to touch the bottom of the pan as the screen is recessed within the pickup to allow the clearance needed. Aftermarket pickups may not work that way unless it has a similar clearance creating bar or recess. If the aftermarket pickup is simply a flat screen you will need to leave clearance from the bottom of the pan to the pickups screen to allow oil flow.

There are other threads on this site that cover the required clearance for these types of flat pickups.

Put the oil pump and pick up on the engine and then test fit the pan....

When you rotate the pick up tube, it will raise or lower the pick up "foot"...
Thanks for the reply. I kind of see it's at an angle in the bottom photo in your post. I plan to pick up some clay and check it out later today.

There are other threads on this site that covers the required clearance for these types of flat pickups.
The required clearance isn't the question. I mentioned those other threads in the OP. The question was how do you adjust the height.

Krazykuda says turning the pickup will move it. Honestly, I still don't see it but he's definitely done it more than I have so I believe him. I will check it out for myself later today. I'm not from Missouri but I know their slogan.

I always have used something like clay put it on the screen ON A PIECE OF PAPER just put the pan on and adjusted as needed. Hope it helps.

The pick-up screen should be parallel with the bottom of the pan. You can bend the tube up or down to get the desired clearance. It should not take much either way, be careful not to over do it.

-
Back